MEDINAH, Ill. — Fighting Irish freshman Madelyn Jones shot an even-par 72 to pace the Irish on the final day of the 2019 Illini Women’s Golf Invitational at the Medinah Country Club.
Jones, a freshman, moved up to tie for 28th with her final round showing (74-73-72-=219). The Austin, Texas native had a steady day which included birdies on number 14 and 17 as well as 14 pars and two bogeys on Medinah’s Course No. 2 (Par 72; 6,159 yards).
Notre Dame shot a 296 during Tuesday’s final round (306-295-296=897) to finish 14th. In addition to Jones, junior Abby Heck (74), sophomore Claire Albrecht (75) and freshman Lauren Beaudreau (75) scored for the Irish.
|T28||Madelyn Jones (4)||74||73||72||219|
|T50||Claire Albrecht (3)||76||73||75||224|
|T64||Jessica Meyers (5)||79||73||76||228|
|T71||Lauren Beaudreau (2)||78||76||75||229|
|T74||Abby Heck (1)||78||78||74||230|
|T50||Mia Ayer (Notre Dame Individual)||74||76||74||224|
Kent State (287-280-286=853) edged Ole Miss (290-289-275=854) by one stroke to win the tournament. On the individual leaderboard, Kennedy Swann (68-72-67=207) of Ole Miss took medalist honors.
The Fighting Irish close out their fall season at Texas State’s Jim West Challenge on Oct 20-21 at the Kissing Tree Golf Club in San Marcos, Texas.
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 72 (second round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
- Mia Ayer: 71 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Lauren Beaudreau: 66 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Abby Heck: 66 (third round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Madelyn Jones: 69 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Jessica Meyers: 73 (second round of the 2019 Illini Invitational)
Noting The 2019 Fall Season …
- The Irish opened the season with a 10th-place finish at the rain shortened Minnesota Invitational (Sept. 9-10).
- Lauren Beaudreau (73-74=147) was the top Fighting Irish finisher at Minnesota, tying for 25th.
- Next, the Irish placed 14th at the Schooner Fall Classic (Sept. 27-29).
- With a final round 66, Abby Heck tied for seventh at the Schooner Fall Classic — her second career top-10 finish.
- Heck’s other top-10 showing came at last season’s 2019 Moon Golf Invitational at the Duran Golf Club when she placed second. Heck’s previous career low round was a 68, also shot at the 2019 Moon Golf Invitational.
- The 66 tied Heck with five other golfers, including freshman Lauren Beaudreau who shot a 66 in the second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic, for the second-lowest round in program history (stroke total).
Folds Of Honor
- The Fighting Irish women’s golf program has teamed up with the Folds of Honor Military Tribute Program (FHMTP) for the 2019-20 season.
- The program provides the opportunity for collegiate golf teams to honor a fallen or severely wounded American soldier by selecting a student-athlete to carry a golf bag displaying the name, rank and branch of service of the soldier being honored throughout the year.
- Fighting Irish senior Mia Ayer will have the honor of carrying Notre Dame’s FHMTP golf bag for the 2019-20 season, which honors the memory of Captain Reid Nishizuka ’05.
- Reid Nishizuka, a U.S. Air Force Captain, died in service to his country on April 27, 2013, near Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Reid was a recipient of 10 Air Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals, two Air Force Achievement Medals and a Bronze Star for Heroism.
- Throughout the season, the Notre Dame women’s golf team will also raise funds with the proceeds benefiting the Folds of Honor (FOH).
- Through scholarships and other assistance, Folds of Honor gives back to the spouses and children of soldiers killed or disabled in service to our country
- Details of Notre Dame’s fundraising efforts will be released as the season progresses.
— ND —