MEDINAH, Ill. — Fighting Irish freshman Madelyn Jones led the Irish on day one of the 2019 Illini Women’s Invitational at the Medinah Country Club, shooting a two-round 147 (+3).
Notre Dame shot a 601 during Monday’s first and second rounds (306-295=601). Jones was part of a trio that shot 73’s in the afternoon round for the Irish, along with sophomore Claire Albrecht and freshman Jessica Meyers.
For Meyers, the second round 73 marked her lowest round thus far in an Irish uniform.
|T32||Madelyn Jones (4)||74||73||147|
|T47||Claire Albrecht (3)||76||73||149|
|T63||Jessica Meyers (5)||79||73||152|
|T73||Lauren Beaudreau (2)||78||76||154|
|80||Abby Heck (1)||78||78||156|
|T54||Mia Ayer (Notre Dame — Individual)||74||76||150|
Tuesday’s third and final round will get underway with a shotgun start at 10 a.m. ET at Medinah’s Course No. 2 (Par 72; 6,159 yards).
The 2019 Illini Women’s Invitational — Final Round
Date: October 8, 2019
Format: 18 holes on Tuesday
Tee Times: 10:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday (shotgun start)
Location: Medinah, Illinois
Course (Par/Yardage): Medinah Country Club Course No. 2 (Par 72; 6,159 yards)
Tournament Field (15): Augusta, Illinois, Indiana, Kennesaw State, Kent State, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Purdue, San Jose State, Tennessee, Texas Tech, Wisconsin.
Notre Dame Lineup: Lauren Beaudreau (1), Madelyn Jones (2), Claire Albrecht (3), Abby Heck (4), Jessica Meyers (5). In addition, Mia Ayer will compete as an individual.
Live Scoring: Golfstat.com
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 72 (second round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
- Mia Ayer: 71 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Lauren Beaudreau: 66 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Abby Heck: 66 (third round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Madelyn Jones: 69 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Jessica Meyers: 73 (second round of the 2019 Illini Invitational)
Noting The 2019 Fall Season …
- The Irish opened the season with a 10th-place finish at the rain shortened Minnesota Invitational (Sept. 9-10).
- Lauren Beaudreau (73-74=147) was the top Fighting Irish finisher at Minnesota, tying for 25th.
- Next, the Irish placed 14th at the Schooner Fall Classic (Sept. 27-29).
- With a final round 66, Abby Heck tied for seventh at the Schooner Fall Classic — her second career top-10 finish.
- Heck’s other top-10 showing came at last season’s 2019 Moon Golf Invitational at the Duran Golf Club when she placed second. Heck’s previous career low round was a 68, also shot at the 2019 Moon Golf Invitational.
- The 66 tied Heck with five other golfers, including freshman Lauren Beaudreau who shot a 66 in the second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic, for the second-lowest round in program history (stroke total).
Folds Of Honor
- The Fighting Irish women’s golf program has teamed up with the Folds of Honor Military Tribute Program (FHMTP) for the 2019-20 season.
- The program provides the opportunity for collegiate golf teams to honor a fallen or severely wounded American soldier by selecting a student-athlete to carry a golf bag displaying the name, rank and branch of service of the soldier being honored throughout the year.
- Fighting Irish senior Mia Ayer will have the honor of carrying Notre Dame’s FHMTP golf bag for the 2019-20 season, which honors the memory of Captain Reid Nishizuka ’05.
- Reid Nishizuka, a U.S. Air Force Captain, died in service to his country on April 27, 2013, near Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Reid was a recipient of 10 Air Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals, two Air Force Achievement Medals and a Bronze Star for Heroism.
- Throughout the season, the Notre Dame women’s golf team will also raise funds with the proceeds benefiting the Folds of Honor (FOH).
- Through scholarships and other assistance, Folds of Honor gives back to the spouses and children of soldiers killed or disabled in service to our country
- Details of Notre Dame’s fundraising efforts will be released as the season progresses.
— ND —