NOTRE DAME, IN — The Notre Dame men’s tennis team completed its first matchup of the season as it battled Kentucky to open the 2019 spring campaign.
Beginning in doubles, Richard Ciamarra and Matt Gamble finished first as they fell to Gabriel Diallo and Millen Hurrion, 2-6. Guillermo Cabrera and William Howells followed suit after dropping to Alexandre LeBlanc and Kevin Huempfner, 3-6. Tristan McCormick and Axel Nefve abandoned the third doubles match after the Irish lost 2 out of 3 doubles matches.
Tristan McCormick excelled in singles after he downed his opponent in straight sets, 7-5 and 6-4, ultimately tieing up the overall score, 1-1. McCormick didn’t claim the only victory for the Irish, Richard Ciamarra added one for the Irish after he and Liam Draxl went to three intense sets, 3-6 7-5 and 6-4. Guillermo Cabrera was battling it out with Alexandre LeBlanc in three sets when they were forced to abandon the match.
Unfortunately, an overall victory wasn’t in the cards today as the final Irish tally came in at 2-5.
The Irish will compete for the second matchday in a row on Monday, January 20 at 4 p.m. ET where they are set to compete against Purdue.
Notre Dame jump-starts the four-game roadstead on January 25 at TCU for Kickoff Weekend against Arizona at 11 a.m. ET.
FINAL BOX SCORE
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY vs UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME
Jan 19, 2020 at SOUTH BEND, IN (ECK TENNIS PAVILION)
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY 5, UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME 2
1. RICHARD CIAMARRA (ND) def. LIAM DRAXL (UK) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. MILLEN HURRION (UK) def. AXEL NEFVE (ND) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
3. TRISTAN MCCORMICK (ND) def. CESAR BOURGOIS (UK) 7-5, 6-4
4. GABRIEL DIALLO (UK) def. WILLIAM HOWELLS (ND) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4)
5. KENTO YAMADA (UK) def. GUILLERMO CABRERA (ND) 4-6, 7-5, 2-1, retired
6. KEVIN HUEMPFNER (UK) def. MATTHEW CHE (ND) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
1. TRISTAN MCCORMICK/AXEL NEFVE (ND) vs. CESAR BOURGOIS/LIAM DRAXL (UK) 6-6 (2-3), unfinished
2. GABRIEL DIALLO/MILLEN HURRION (UK) def. RICHARD CIAMARRA/MATT GAMBLE (ND) 6-2
3. ALEXANDRE LEBLANC/KEVIN HUEMPFNER (UK) def. GUILLERMO CABRERA/WILLIAM HOWELLS (ND) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,6,2,1,4,5)