June 6, 2017
By Megan Golden
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team will welcome nine new members of the Class of 2021 to the program this fall. The incoming class, which features three Under Armour All-Americans and six (and counting) state champions, assuredly will make an immediate impact on an Irish roster that relied heavily on its seniors this past season.
The newest Irish class includes seven midfielders, one defender and one goalkeeper, all of which come from storied high school lacrosse programs. Purely stated, the freshmen have a history of winning — in particular, winning in the postseason. The group boasts a combined 15 state titles and is looking to add to that total this spring.
The Class of 2021 hails from seven different states, boosting the team’s geographical representation to a combined 13 states.
“I am thrilled to announce the addition of this exceptional recruiting class to the University of Notre Dame women’s lacrosse program,” Irish head coach Christine Halfpenny said. “Our staff worked hard to find individuals who were strong fits for our academic, athletic and overall community culture at Notre Dame. Each of these students brings determination, work ethic, enthusiasm, and strong character to our team. They will also bring championship experience, skill, and athleticism to the 2018 squad.
“We are so proud of Andie, Bridget, Olivia, Katie, Diana and Lizzie having captured state titles already with their high school teams. With four more state championships to be played in the upcoming weeks, we couldn’t be more excited for Maddie, Kaci and Nicole to finish the year strong. Each of these students have individual and team goals for their collegiate careers that they are excited to work towards over the next four years under the Golden Dome.”
Product of Catonsville, Maryland, Andie Aldave, highlights the Class of 2021. The midfielder went undefeated in all four seasons in high school, leading McDonogh School to a No. 1 national ranking throughout her stay.
Aldave competed on the 2015 United States Under-19 Women’s Lacrosse Team and was named a U.S. Lacrosse All-America Honorable Mention that same year. As a senior, Aldave was selected as an Under Armour All-American and was named to the Preseason All-USA Girls Lacrosse First Team.
Goalkeeper Bridget Deehan will join the Irish as an Under Armour All-American and Most Valuable Player of Milton High School’s lacrosse team. Deehan joins Notre Dame’s impressive line of defense that led the ACC in caused turnovers and ground balls this past season.
Loyola Academy graduate and midfielder Katherine Enrietto led her team in every statistical category, receiving MVP honors and ultimately being named Wendy’s High School Heisman winner as a senior.
Midfielder Diana Kelly and defender Elizabeth Doherty, both of whom attended Oak Knoll High School, will continue playing together at the next level with the Irish. Kelly and Doherty led their team to three prep championships and two state championships over their lacrosse careers.
The Irish will gain depth in the midfield with the additions of Olivia Jacobsen, Maddie Howe, Kaci Messier and Nicole Massimino. The foursome includes an Under Armour All-American and three MVPs.
Notre Dame returns 22 student-athletes, including six starters, from its 2016-17 roster. Returning players totaled 171 points on 122 goals and 49 assists with 225 ground balls and 115 caused turnovers.
The Irish finished the 2017 season 11-8, going 4-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference and matching the program’s best record in the ACC.
“Each year we graduate strong players and leaders from our program,” Halfpenny said. “However, our program’s Gold Standards will always remain the same: Respect, Sacrifice, Integrity, Commitment, Accountability and Pride.
“I believe that we will have a wonderful mix of returning veterans, with experience, and a healthy addition of newcomers that have the potential to make an immediate impact on the field next year. It’s exciting to think about chasing our vision of playing for conference and national championships with this group.”
Andie Aldave – Midfielder – Catonsville, Md. – McDonogh School
- Expected to graduate from McDonogh School in June 2017 … earned four varsity letters in field hockey and lacrosse … competed on the 2015 U.S. U19 Women’s Lacrosse Team as the youngest member of the team and played alongside current Irish Nikki Ortega, Hannah Proctor and Samantha Giacolone … was named a U.S. Lacrosse All-America Honorable Mention as a sophomore … was the Under Armour All-America Underclass MVP, named to the All-Inside Lacrosse Women High School Team, the All-USA Today Girls Lacrosse First Team and was a U.S. Lacrosse First Team High School All-American as a junior … was an Under Armour All-American and was named to the Preseason All-USA Girls Lacrosse First Team and the Preseason All-Inside Lacrosse Women High School Team as a senior … twice was named to the IAAM A Conference All-Conference Lacrosse Team … was a three-time Baltimore Sun First Team All-Metro selection … led her team to its ninth straight IAAM Lacrosse Championship and 177th consecutive win to end her senior year … McDonogh ranked No. 1 nationally in girls varsity lacrosse for four straight years … went undefeated all four years of her high school lacrosse career … played on the IAAM “A” Conference Field Hockey Championship team as a sophomore and senior … competed with the Sky Walkers Lacrosse Program.
- Led her school’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter and the One Love Foundation.
- Born in Baltimore, Maryland … hails from the same high school as current Irish sophomore Savannah Buchanan and assistant coach Maggie Smith as well as Irish alumnae Grace Muller, Hannah Rees and Brittany Mallory … great, great grandfather John McGill Fox graduated from Notre Dame in 1909 … sister Maddy played lacrosse at Johns Hopkins University (Class of 2012) … sister Paige plays lacrosse at Florida and is expected to graduate in 2019 … is the daughter of Rob and Missy Aldave … father Rob swam at John Carroll University … full name is Alessandra Delaney Aldave … intends to major in business.
Bridget Deehan – Goalkeeper – Milton, Ga. – Milton High School
- Graduated from Milton High School in May 2017 … earned four varsity letters in lacrosse … led her team to three state championships and four straight No. 1 rankings in the South … named First Team All-State, All-American, Academic All-American and Most Valuable Player as a junior … was First Team All-State, Georgia High School Player of the Year, Academic All-American, Under Armour All-American and Most Valuable Player as a senior … received the Parker Jackson Legacy Lacrosse Leadership Award and the Parker Jackson Legacy Lacrosse Memorial Award as a senior … was a two-time scholar-athlete and Team Georgia selection … played on the Eagle Stix club team.
- Named to the high school honor roll … selected as Milton High School’s Best Improv Performer in 2016-17 … is a Beta Club member, Editor of the Milton High School Yearbook, Co-Founder and Vice President of the American Legion Post 201 … teaches religious education at Saint Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church and is a Senior Altar Server … is in the National Spanish Honor Society and the National Honor Society … served as a Milton High School Special Needs Mentor and was in the Milton Improv Troupe.
- Born in San Diego, Calif. … hails from the same high school as current Irish sophomore Jessi Masinko … mother Erin Ryan Deehan (`87) and grandfather Kevin J. Ryan (`61) graduated from Notre Dame … has several aunts and uncles who graduated from Notre Dame … has two brothers, Patrick (25) and Kevin (22), and two sisters, Tara (20) and Meghan (16) … is the daughter of Bill and Erin Deehan … father Bill played lacrosse at the College of the Holy Cross … full name is Bridget Mary Deehan … intends to major in business.
Elizabeth Doherty – Defender – Chatham, N.J. – Oak Knoll School
- Expected to graduate from Oak Knoll School in June 2017 … earned four varsity letters in lacrosse and soccer and two in swimming … led her soccer team to the prep championship and state championship in 2016 … contributed to the lacrosse team’s three prep championships, two state championships, the 2015 Tournament of Champions and the 2017 county championship … started and received a First Year Player Award in soccer and lacrosse and started and earned Most Improved Award in swimming as a freshman … was named New Jersey All Group 1 First Team, Union County Stars and Stripes Conference Second Team and received the Oak Knoll School Outstanding Defender Award in lacrosse as a sophomore … named Union County All-County First Team in soccer as a sophomore … named All-Union County First Team in soccer and New Jersey First Team All-Group 1, Union County First Team Stars and Stripes Conference and Under Armour All-American Underclass Team in lacrosse as a junior … named captain in soccer and lacrosse as a senior … selected to the USA Today Preseason First Team All-America team and chosen as a New Jersey Star Ledger Preseason Top Defenders to Watch player … won two New Jersey Public A State Championships and one New Jersey Prep Championship in soccer … played for Building Blocks Lacrosse.
- Was a retreat leader and volunteer at Saint Patrick’s Youth Ministry … volunteered as a tutor at Elizabeth Port Tutoring, Operation Smile and St. Patrick’s Annual Appalachian Service Trip … was a four-year Honor Roll student.
- Born in New York, N.Y. … hails from the same high school as current Irish sophomore Cassie Ford and fellow freshman Diana Kelly … has a brother, Sean (23), and two sisters, Caroline (21) and Christine (16) … is the daughter of Shawn and Cindy Doherty … father played soccer and golf at Saint Peter’s University … full name is Elizabeth M. Doherty … is undecided as to what she will study at Notre Dame.
Katherine Enrietto – Midfielder – Winnetka, Ill. – Loyola Academy
- Graduated from Loyola Academy in May 2017 … earned three varsity letters in lacrosse, two in swimming and one in field hockey … led her team to two lacrosse state championships … was named Most Valuable Player and led the team in every category as a freshman … missed most of her sophomore season due to injury … selected as the Wendy’s High School Heisman winner as a senior … was two-time All-State selection … played for Wildcat Elite.
- Was an inclusion companion for children with disabilities … volunteered at Our Place and Misericordia … was a peer tutor … recorded 200-plus hours of community service … was a member of the National Honor Society, the French Honor Society and the Dumbach Honor Society … honored as the female “Graduate at Graduation” and was recognized as one of the top 11 students in her class … named an AP Scholar with Distinction and a National Merit Commended Student … was an Illinois State Scholar and a four-time Loyola Scholar … named Rambler of the Year as a sophomore.
- Born in Park Ridge, Ill. … hails from the same high school as Irish alumnae Annie Dooley, Grace Dooley and Katherine Eilers … has a brother, Tommy (12), and two sisters, Annie (16) and Maggie (14) … grandfather James Timons (`65, `70 Law) and mother Colleen (`92) graduated from Notre Dame … has several aunts and uncles who graduated from Notre Dame … is the daughter of Tony and Colleen Enrietto … father Tony played hockey at West Point … full name is Katherine Elizabeth Enrietto … is undecided as to what she will major in at Notre Dame.
Maddie Howe – Midfielder – Fairport, N.Y. – Fairport High School
- Expected to graduate from Fairport High School in June 2017 … earned five varsity letters in lacrosse and two in basketball … led her team to the 2016 Section V finals, the 2015 Section V Sportsmanship Team Award and was a four-time recipient of the New York State Scholar Athlete Achievement Award … is a four-time All-Monroe County selection … as a freshman, represented Western New York in the U.S. Lacrosse Women’s National Tournament … as a junior was named a U.S. Lacrosse High School All-American, All Greater Rochester Player of the Year and Monroe County Player of the Year … is a three-time All Greater Rochester nominee and a two-time Red Raider Award winner, given to the athlete who exhibits athletic, academic and leadership excellence … competed on the Lady Roc 2017 Yellow club lacrosse team … suffered two ACL injuries in 2014 and 2016 that caused her to miss those respective summer seasons.
- Is a Fairport High School Student Hall of Fame nominee and Notre Dame Club of Rochester Junior of the Year finalist … named Fairport High School Academic Excellence Award winner … was involved in the Student Ambassador Club, was the treasurer of the Joey Fund Committee and volunteers as a Youth Asset Leader … was invited to speak at the Student Summit of Race and selected as a panelist for the University of Rochester’s “Sports Summit on Injury Prevention and Health-Related Technology” … was a National Honor Society member.
- Born in Buffalo, N.Y. … hails from the same high school as former Irish athletes Katie DeRusso, Jenny Chiang and Angela Ryck … father played collegiate basketball at Geneseo … has a little brother Derek … is the daughter of Craig and Dawn Howe … full name is Madeline Jane Howe … intends to major in finance.
Olivia Jacobsen – Midfielder – Sammamish, Wash. – Eastside Catholic High School
- Expected to graduate from Eastside Catholic High School in June 2017 … earned four varsity letters in lacrosse and volleyball … led her team to two lacrosse state championships and three top-10 finishes in volleyball … recorded 14 goals, five assists, 13 ground balls and 28 draw controls as a freshman … named an All-Conference defender after tallying 30 goals, 15 assists 39 ground balls, 49 draw controls and 12 caused turnovers as a sophomore … selected to the All-State and All-Conference teams and voted Most Valuable Player after recording 53 goals, 16 assists, 24 ground balls, 68 draw controls and 13 caused turnovers as a junior … collected 50 goals, 14 assists, 17 ground balls, five caused turnovers and 107 draw controls and was named an All-Conference and All-State midfielder and the Female Athlete of the Year by Eastside Catholic … was Second Team All-Metro in volleyball as a senior … ranked No. 1 in the state with the most draw controls her senior season (107) and No. 5 for most in a season all-time … played with Seattle Starz Lacrosse.
- Was a member of the National Honor Society and received Washington State Honors … was named PE/Health Student of the Year as a freshman.
- Born in Bellevue, Wash. … has a brother, Joe (14) and a sister Anna (19) … uncle Joe Lee played baseball and football at Harvard … is the daughter of Roger and Angela Jacobsen … full name is Olivia Katherine Jacobsen … intends to major in business.
Diana Kelly – Midfielder – Chatham, N.J. – Oak Knoll School
- Expected to graduate from Oak Knoll School in June 2017 … earned four varsity letters in soccer and lacrosse and two in swimming … led her soccer team to the Prep Championship and State Championship in 2016 … contributed to the lacrosse team’s three Prep Championships, two State Championships, the 2015 Tournament of Champions and the 2017 County Championship … as a sophomore received the Union County Award for soccer … as a junior was named a High School All-American in lacrosse and was chosen to be on the All-Conference team in soccer … as a senior was named Oak Knoll’s “Outstanding Defensive Player,” received the Top 20 North II Region Award and received the Oak Knoll Captains Award and NJGSCA Award in soccer … was named to the UCGSCA 2016 All-Star Mountain Division team and All-Conference team in soccer … was a three-time Under Armour All-American Underclass Team selection in lacrosse … was a member of Building Blocks Lacrosse.
- Volunteers at her home parish of Corpus Christie and coaches at Building Blocks Lacrosse … is a National Language Honors Society member …
- Born in New York, N.Y. … hails from the same high school as current Irish lacrosse players, sophomore Cassie Ford and fellow freshman Lizzy Doherty … father William was a track and field athlete at Fordham University … has an older brother, Conor, and an older sister, Katherine … is the daughter of William and Karen Kelly … full name is Diana Rose Kelly … intends to major in business.
Nicole Massimino – Midfielder/Defender – Villanova, Pa. – Radnor High School
- Expected to graduate from Radnor High School in June 2017 … earned four varsity letters in soccer, four in basketball and four in lacrosse … was the captain as a senior in both basketball and lacrosse … led her lacrosse team to two District 1 Championships and the 2016 PIAA State Runner-Up and won the 2014 Basketball District 1 Championship … named a lacrosse All-American and Second Team All-Mainline, received an All-Central League Honorable Mention in basketball and was named RGB Most Valuable Player as a sophomore … received Second Team All-Mainline and All-Central League Honorable Mention in lacrosse and was selected to the All-Central League Second Team in basketball as a junior … earned All-Mainline Honorable Mention in soccer, First Team All-Mainline, First Team All-Central League, Third Team All-Delco and RGB Most Valuable Player in basketball and was named to the First Team All-Central League and chosen as an Academic All-American and Athletic All-American in lacrosse as a senior … played for Steps Philly.
- Was a member of the National Honors Society, Best Buddies, the Buddy Walk and was a Radnor Youth Coach … named a National Honors Scholar.
- Born in Philadelphia, Pa. … hails from the same high school as current Irish junior Hannah Proctor and alumna Leah Gallagher … has two sisters, Megan (20) and Melissa (15) … sister Megan played lacrosse at Georgetown, and mother Chrissy played lacrosse at Delaware and Villanova … is the daughter of Andrew and Chrissy Massimino … full name is Nicole Jacqueline Massimino … intends to major in business.
Kaci Messier – Midfielder – Victor, N.Y. – Victor High School
- Expected to graduate from Victor High School in June 2017 … earned four varsity letters in lacrosse and three in soccer … led her team to three lacrosse sectional championships and two soccer sectional championships … advanced to the state final four in lacrosse three times … started every game at midfield and was an All-County Second Team selection in lacrosse as a freshman … scored the winning goal in the sectional finals and recorded 12 goals and seven assists … totaled 47 goals, 29 assists and 68 ground balls as a sophomore … named team captain and recorded 57 goals, 42 assists, 57 draw controls and 72 ground balls as a junior … named team captain, Under Armour All-American and had 61 goals, 13 assists 71 draw controls and 47 ground balls as a senior … was a two-time All-Monroe County First Team, two-time All-Greater Rochester First Team and two-time Daily Messenger All-Star First Team member … in soccer, ranked in the top-10 among Victor High School scorers with 39 goals and 25 assists, was a soccer team captain, three-time offensive Most Valuable Player, two-time All-Greater Rochester First Team selection, three-time All-Monroe County First Team member, two-time Daily Messenger All-Star First Team member, All-New York State team member and Under Armour All-American as a senior … played with the Lady Roc 2017 Yellow … played on the Brine All-America and Under Armour Underclass Team … was named team Most Valuable Player for the Nike Cup and NorthStar … went undefeated with the summer and winter league Syracuse Outlaws for three years.
- Was a two-year member of the National Honor Society and three-year member of Key Club … will graduate with honors.
- Born in Albany, N.Y. … has a brother, Chad (20) … is the daughter of Michael and Kelly Messier … full name is Kaci Jane Messier … intends to major in business.
For a closer, behind-the-scenes look at the Irish women’s lacrosse program, follow @NDWomensLax on Twitter and ndwlax on Snapchat.
Megan Golden, athletics communications assistant director at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since August of 2016. In her role, she coordinates all media efforts for the Notre Dame women’s lacrosse and cross country/track and field programs. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Golden is a 2014 graduate of Saint Mary’s College and former Irish women’s basketball manager. Prior to arriving at Notre Dame, she worked in public relations with the Cleveland Indians and Chicago White Sox.