Feb. 24, 2018
By Michael Scholl
NOTRE DAME, Indiana — The Notre Dame women’s tennis team opened up a Saturday doubleheader at the Eck Tennis Pavilion with a resounding 4-0 victory over Pittsburgh.
How It Happened
The Pitt duo of Luisa Varon and Claudia Bartolome picked-up a 6-3 win at one doubles before the Irish responded with a 6-3 victory at two doubles by Cameron Corse and Zoe Spence. All eyes were on court three, where the Irish pair of Rachel Chong and Bess Waldram gutted out a 7-5 win to give the Irish the doubles point.
Ally Bojczuk quickly took care of Natsumi Okamoto at six singles, 6-3, 6-1, to give the Irish a 2-0 lead. Miller followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Luisa Varon to make it 3-0 and quickly after that, Broda secured a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Gabriela Rezenda on court one to secure the 4-0 victory.
Broda was in a race to finish with Zoe Spence, who led, 6-4, 5-1, when the match was completed. In addition, Rachel Chong held a 6-2, 4-3 lead at five singles and Cameron Corse had won the first set, 6-1, but was trailing in the second, 3-4. All three matches (three, four and five) were halted when the Irish clinched.
- The Irish are unbeaten in seven matches with Pitt.
- Corse & Spence improved to 4-2 on the season at two doubles, while Chong & Waldrum were paired at three doubles for the first time this season.
- Broda improved to 3-2 on the year at one singles, while Miller is now 4-1 at two singles and Bojczuk is 3-0 at six singles.
Notre Dame 4, Pittsburgh 0
Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018
Notre Dame, IN
Eck Tennis Pavilion
1. Brooke Broda (ND) def. Gabriela Rezende (UP) 6-0, 6-3
2. Allison Miller (ND) def. Luisa Varon (UP) 6-3, 6-1
3. Cameron Corse (ND) vs. Camila Moreno (UP) 6-1, 3-4, unfinished
4. Zoe Spence (ND) vs. Claudia Bartolome (UP) 6-4, 5-1, unfinished
5. Rachel Chong (ND) vs. Callie Frey (UP) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
6. Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Natsumi Okamoto (UP) 6-3, 6-1
1. Luisa Varon/Claudia Bartolome (UP) def. Brooke Broda/Allison Miller (ND) 6-3
2. Cameron Corse/Zoe Spence (ND) def. Callie Frey/Camila Moreno (UP) 6-3
3. Rachel Chong/Bess Waldram (ND) def. Natsumi Okamoto/Gabriela Rezende (UP) 7-5
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1,2,3; Singles: 6,2,1
The Irish play match two of the day against Bowling Green at 3 p.m. ET.
— ND —
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams while coordinating communications efforts for the women’s tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.