NOTRE DAME, Indiana — The Notre Dame Women’s Tennis team earned two weekend victories over Marquette and Bowling Green at the Eck Tennis Pavilion on Friday and Saturday.
On Friday night, the Irish jumped out to a quick start over Bowling Green, earning three quick doubles wins to claim the doubles point. The 19th-ranked duo of Cameron Corse and Page Freeman earned a decisive, 6-0 victory to start the scoring, followed quickly by freshmen duo Yashna Yellayi and Meghan Coleman, as well as Ally Bojczuk and Julia Lilien. In singles play, the Irish won five consecutive matches to earn a commanding 6-1 finish over the Falcons.
Despite the quick turnaround on Saturday morning, the Irish carried their momentum into the weekend earning another win over Marquette. The Irish got started quickly with Julia Andreach and Julia Lilien taking the first doubles match in decisive fashion, 6-1. Meghan Coleman and Maeve Koscielski clinched the doubles point for the team, winning 6-2.
Not to be slowed down, Koscielski claimed the first singles victory for the Irish, 6-2, 6-2, and Page Freeman and Ally Bojczuk quickly followed with straight-set wins of their own to clinch the match for the Fighting Irish. The final two singles matches on the court each required tiebreakers to decide their victors. Yashna Yellayi secured a hard-fought win, taking the tiebreaker 10-8; Sydney Sforzo ultimately fell to her opponent by a narrow 8-10 margin.
Notre Dame WTEN 6, Bowling Green 1
- Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Maharita Tavpash (BGSU) 6-2, 7-6
- Page Freeman (ND) def. Ionna Tsadari (BGSU) 6-4, 6-2
- Julia Lilien (ND) def. Yulia Kapitanova (BGSU) 6-1, 6-0
- Yashna Yellayi (ND) def. Marta Bettinelli (BGSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Maeve Koscielski (ND) def. Ayumi Sasaki (BGSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Selina Karg (BGSU) def. Meghan Coleman (ND) 7-5, 6-4
- Cameron Corse/Page Freeman (ND) def. Maharita Tavpash/Yulia Kapitanova (BGSU) 6-0
- Yashna Yellayi/Meghan Coleman (ND) def. Ionna Tsadari/Ayumi Sasaki (BGSU) 6-2
- Ally Bojczuk/Julia Lilien (ND) def. Marta Bettinelli/Laura Silveira (BGSU) 6-2
Notre Dame WTEN 5, Marquette 2
- Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Giulia Turconi (MU) 6-1, 6-3
- Page Freeman (ND) def. Andie Weise (MU) 6-4, 6-2
- Emilija Kojcic (MU) def. Julia Lilien (ND) 6-4, retired
- Yashna Yellayi (ND) def. Elisabeth Desmarais (MU) 7-6, 4-6, 10-8
- Maeve Koscielski (ND) def. Elizabeth Ferdman (MU) 6-2, 6-2
- Tiana Windbuchler (MU) def. Sydney Sforzo (ND) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
- Julia Andreach/Julia Lilien (ND) def. Giulia Turconi/Andie Weise (MU) 6-1
- Natalija Popovic/Elisabeth Desmarais (MU) def. Yashna Yellayi/Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-2
- Meghan Coleman/Maeve Koscielski (ND) def. Emilija Kojcic/Lara Kaiser (MU) 6-2
The Irish will begin conference play when they host Boston College on Friday, February 19, at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. The match will begin at 3 p.m. ET.
While fans are unable to attend matches at the Eck due to health and safety protocol, live stats are available at UND.com/mediastats and live streaming is available at UND.com/tennisstream.