Jan. 9, 2015
RANCHO SANTA FE, CALIF. – The No. 14 University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team had a successful first day at the Morgan Run Hidden Duals at the Morgan Run Club & Resort on Friday.
Already facing tough competition against the likes of No. 10 Texas A&M, No. 15 California and host school No. 32 San Diego, the Irish put forth a strong showing on the first day of the hidden dual-formatted invitational. Notre Dame was 7-4 in doubles play and 7-5 during singles competition.
Eighth-ranked doubles duo Billy Pecor and Alex Lawson defeated No. 42 Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton of California 6-3 in the No. 1 doubles slot to start the day, while No. 9 duo Eddy Covalschi and Josh Hagar defeated San Diego’s Romain Kalaydjian and Alex Araouzos in both the first and second rounds of play. Quentin Monaghan and Eric Schnurrenberger dropped Texas A&M’s Arthur Rinderknech and A.J. Catanzariti 6-4 in the No. 3 doubles spot, while Dougie Barnard and Michael Fredericka felled the Aggies’ Frankie Colunga and Max Montague 6-1. Drew Dawson and Brendon Kempin also posted a win from the No. 6 doubles slot in the first round, defeating Cal’s Wyatt Houghton and Nikhil Jayashankar, 6-4. In the next round, Barnard and Kempin defeated Houghton and Hasier Pastor, 6-3.
In the first singles round, No. 37 Monaghan beat USD’s No. 53 Uros Petronijevic, 6-4, 6-4, and No. 82 Hagar got a win of his own over a ranked opponent, toughing out a 6-2, 4-6. 6-4 win over No. 45 Shane Vinsant (Texas A&M). Schnurrenberger also enjoyed a victory over Alex Araouzos (San Diego), 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 4 singles spot.
The Irish will continue play at Morgan Run with two singles rounds beginning at 1:30 p.m. ET Saturday. For updates on Irish action, be sure to like Notre Dame men’s tennis on Facebook, and follow along on Twitter (@NDMensTennis).
1. No. 37 Quentin Monaghan (Notre Dame) def. No. 53 Uros Petronijevic (San Diego) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 82 Josh Hagar (Notre Dame) def. No. 45 Shane Vinsant (Texas A&M) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
3. Billy Griffith (California) def. Eddy Covalschi (Notre Dame) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Eric Schnurrenberger (Notre Dame) def. Alex Araouzos (San Diego) 6-1, 6-2
5. Arthur Rinderknech (Texas A&M) def. Alex Lawson (Notre Dame) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
6. J.T. Nishimura (California) def. Billy Pecor (Notre Dame) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
8/9. Hasier Pastor (California) def. Kenneth Sabacinski (Notre Dame) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
8. Nicolas Montoya (Notre Dame) def. Max Montague (Texas A&M) 6-1, 6-1
9. Michael Fredericka (Notre Dame) def. Jett Cash (Texas A&M) 6-1, 6-1
9. Nikhil Jayashankar (California) def. Drew Dawson (Notre Dame) 6-1, 6-2
11/10. Wyatt McCoy (Notre Dame) def. Wyatt Houghton (California) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
Dougie Barnard (Notre Dame) def. Jordan Smith 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
-By Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant