NOTRE DAME, Indiana — The University of Notre Dame baseball team is off for another non-conference road series this weekend when they head to Clinton, South Carolina to face Presbyterian. The Irish and Blue Hose will face off for the first time in program history this weekend with a three-game series starting Friday afternoon. The Irish are coming off a 2-1 week in San Antonio at the Alamo Irish Classic.
Offensive Outburst Pushes Irish Past UIW
- The Irish kicked off the Alamo Irish Classic with a strong showing at the plate against UIW.
- The Irish scored in six of the first seven innings to build a lead for Tommy Sheehan.
- Sheehan was masterful on the mound once again. He allowed just one run in six innings of work with five strikeouts and did not allow a walk.
- At the plate, Spencer Myers tied a career high with three hits and recorded his first muti-steal game of the season after swiping two bags.
- Brooks Coetzee set a career high with two RBI and tied career highs with two hits and two runs.
- Ryan Cole also tied career highs with two runs and two hits against the Cardinals.
- Eric Gilgenbach launched his second home run of the season in the seventh.
- Freshman Dominic Cancellieri closed out the final three innings of the game and picked up his first collegiate save.
Vail Victorious Over Toledo
- Tommy Vail entered the game against Toledo facing a 2-1 deficit in the third inning.
- Vail settled things down for the Irish and the deficit was quickly erased by the Irish bats.
- The junior lefty tossed a career high 5.1 innings of relief and also set a career high with nine strikeouts. Vail did not walk a batter and just allowed one hit.
- At the plate, freshman Jack Brannigan came through with a two RBI double in the fifth inning to give the Irish the lead they would never relinquish.
- The Irish as a team took advantage on the base paths, finishing the game with six steals.
- Spencer Myers tied a career high with three steals, the third time he has done that in his career.
Myers Big Weekend in Texas
- Spencer Myers led the Irish off in a big way during the Alamo Irish Classic down in San Antonio.
- Myers led the Irish in a number of categories throughout the weekend, including batting average (.615), hits (8), steals (5) and RBI (4).
- Myers tied career highs with three hits against UIW and three steals against Toledo.
- The junior from Tampa ranks high in a number of categories on the conference level through the first two weeks of the season.
- He is tied for first in hits per game (2.0), second in steals per game (0.83) and ranks eighth in batting average (.429).