April 18, 2018
By Michael Scholl
INDIANAPOLIS — The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team traveled to the Circle City and secured a 7-0 victory over IUPUI on Wednesday afternoon.
The Irish took all six singles matches in straight sets and swept to take the doubles point. The highlight included freshman Evangeline Shannon making her dual match debut and winning at six singles.
How It Happened
The Irish swept at doubles to earn the point. Allison Miller and Bess Waldram were victorious first on court one, 6-1, before Ally Bojczuk and Rachel Chong clinched the doubles point with a 6-0 win on court three. Caroline Dunleavy and Zoe Spence completed the sweep on court two with a 6-2 win.
Spence was the first victor in singles action, capturing a straight-set win without dropping a game. Bojczuk followed with a similar 6-0, 6-0 victory at court three. The match was clinched with a 6-3, 6-0 win at four singles by Chong.
Dunleavy won at court five, 6-2, 6-3, with Miller taking a 6-0, 6-2 decision at the top of the lineup before Shannon won in straight sets at six singles (6-2, 6-2) to provide the final margin of 7-0.
- Spence played at two singles, the highest in the lineup the sophomore has appeared in her career.
- Bojczuk also made her highest career appearance in the lineup at three singles as the rookie improved to 13-6 in singles action during the spring.
- Shannon made her singles spring debut after she went 1-4 in singles action during the fall tournament season.
- Miller and Waldram played doubles together for the second time (2-0).
- Dunleavy and Spence were paired together at doubles for the first time this season.
- Bojczuk and Chong are 3-3 as doubles partners, all on court three.
- It was just the second meeting between the Irish and Jaguars, with Notre Dame having won 7-0 on January 18, 2013.
Notre Dame 7, IUPUI 0
04/18/18 at Indianapolis, Ind. (West Indy Racquet Club)
1. Allison Miller (ND) def. Valeriia Lavrenchuk (IUPUI) 6-0, 2-0
2. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Krystal Grubb (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-0
3. Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Samantha Mayer (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-0
4. Rachel Chong (ND) def. Mariella Pessina (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-0
5. Caroline Dunleavy (ND) def. Molly Nguyen (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-3
6. Evangeline Shannon (ND) def. Marina Schneiger (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
1. Allison Miller/Bess Waldram (ND) def. Valeriia Lavrenchuk/Samantha Mayer (IUPUI) 6-1
2. Caroline Dunleavy/Zoe Spence (ND) def. Krystal Grubb/Mariella Pessina (IUPUI) 6-2
3. Ally Bojczuk/Rachel Chong (ND) def. Molly Nguyen/Marina Schneiger (IUPUI) 6-0
Order Of Finish
Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,4,5,1,6)
Notre Dame will be at home for its final two regular season matches this weekend. The Irish play host to 18th-ranked Florida State on Friday, April 20, at 4 p.m., before No. 17 Miami visits on Sunday, April 22 at Noon.
— ND —
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams while coordinating communications efforts for the women’s tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.