April 9, 2013
Notre Dame, Ind.
In South Bend: UM, 35-30
Last Three Games:
5/4/2011 H L 3 5
3/10/2012 N W 2 0
3/11/2012 N L 5 6
UM – James Bourque (2-4, 5.13 ERA)
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Notre Dame returns to action with rival Michigan at 5:35 p.m. Tuesday at Frank Eck Stadium. The game can be heard on WHME 103.1 FM and UND.com. A free live stream is also available at UND.com.
AROUND THE HORN — Michigan owns an 84-45 series edge over Notre Dame, including a 35-30 mark against the Irish in South Bend. The Wolverines are 4-2 in six all-time meetings at Frank Eck Stadium. Notre Dame has dropped nine of its last 11 meetings with Michigan. The two rivals split two meetings last season at LSU (2-0, 5-6).
- Notre Dame is ranked among the top 25 in all five major polls. Notre Dame is ranked No. 16 by Collegiate Baseball, No. 18 by Baseball America, No. 20 by Perfect Game, No. 24 by NCBWA and No. 24 by the USA Today Coaches.
- Notre Dame has already played nine games against top-25 opponents (No. 25 Virginia Tech, No. 7 UCLA, No. 10 Oklahoma and three games at No. 20 Cal Poly and at No. 10 Louisville). The Irish have captured four of those nine meetings.
- Notre Dame has four of the BIG EAST’s five non-conference wins over top-25 foes in `13.
- Notre Dame has already played 15 games decided by one run and sports a 10-5 record.
- The nip-and-tuck battles are nothing new to Notre Dame. The Irish played 18 games decided by one run in 2012. Notre Dame went 11-7 in those outings. In fact, the Irish played in 20 such games in 2011 as well (going 10-10).
- In all, Notre Dame has played in 53 different one-run contests since third-year head coach Mik Aoki arrived on campus. That’s 53 of 140 games or 37.9 percent of Aoki’s tenure in an Irish uniform. Notre Dame is 31-22 in one-run games under Aoki.
- Over the last three seasons, 72 of Notre Dame’s 140 games (51.4 percent) have been decided by two runs or less.
- Junior 1B Trey Mancini was named BIG EAST Baseball Player of the Week on Apr. 8. He went 7-for-19 (.368) over a 4-1 week for the Fighting Irish. Mancini had 10 RBI, including six in an 11-8 win over Villanova on Apr. 8. Mancini hit a grand slam home run in the bottom of the sixth to clinch the victory.
- Junior 3B Eric Jagielo leads the BIG EAST in batting average (.398), slugging percentage (.684), on-base percentage (.523) and total bases (67). He also ranks second in home runs (seven) and tied for sixth in RBI (27).
- Senior RHP Adam Norton leads the BIG EAST in wins (seven) and fewest walks (eight). He also ranks fourth in ERA (1.72), third in innings pitched (57.2), seventh in runs allowed (14) and eighth in earned runs allowed (11).
- Notre Dame led the BIG EAST in both fewest walks per nine innings (2.81) and strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.61) in 2012. Both totals ranked fourth in single-season school history. The Irish also led the league in fewest walks per nine innings in 2011.
- Notre Dame was off to a similar start in both categories in 2013 before this past weekend’s series with Villanova. The Irish led the BIG EAST in fewest walks per nine innings (2.35) and ranked ninth in the NCAA, but Notre Dame issued 19 free passes in the three-game series with the Wildcats.
- Notre Dame walked only 59 batters over its first 26 games and just 24 over its last 11 games entering the series. — ND —