NOTRE DAME, Indiana — Following a 2-0 start to the 2019 season, the Notre Dame women’s soccer team hits the road for the first time this season. The Irish will have a short drive north to Kalamazoo as the Irish prepare to take on Western Michigan Thursday night.
|RV Iowa (7-0) vs. RV Notre Dame (6-1)|
|When:||Sunday, September 15 | 1:00 p.m. ET|
|Where:||Notre Dame, Ind. | Alumni Stadium|
|Watch:||ACC Network Extra (ACCN Subscription Required)|
Know the Opponent: Western Michigan Broncos
- The Irish and Broncos will square off for the sixth time in school history and just the second time up in Kalamazoo with the Irish holding a 4-0-1 overall record.
- The Irish and Broncos have a lot of connections as head coach Nate Norman and assistant coach Lauren Sinacola both served time as head coach for the Broncos.
- Norman was the head coach for the Broncos for four seasons (2012-15), led them to two MAC Tournament Championships and was the MAC Coach of the Year in 2015.
- Sinacola was in charge for two seasons (2016-17) after being an assistant under Norman for three seasons.
- Norman and Sinacola were both on the Broncos sideline the last time the Irish traveled to Kalamazoo and that contest ended in a 2-2 draw.
- The Broncos are currently 0-1 this year after dropping the season opener to Iowa 2-0.
Second Half Flury Leads Irish Past Northwestern
- After the first 45 minutes against Northwestern, the Irish and Wildcats were deadlocked at 0-0 with neither team having many offensive chances but that all changed in the second half.
- The Irish had a flurry of opportunities in the attacking third and turn it into four goals in the opening 20 minutes of the second half.
- Eva Hurm got it started in the 48th minute with an incredible goal straight from the corner kick that curled over the keeper and into the back of the net.
- Moments later, Brianna Martinez won a battle with two Northwestern defenders and sent the ball up into the box. She laid a back pass to Delgado who had stopped in the middle of the box. Delgado wasted no time and fired the pass low and into the back of the net for her first career goal and increased the Irish lead.
- Hurm was at it again in the 58th minute after Brooke VanDyck had some fancy footwork around a few Northwestern defenders. VanDyck sent a through ball in for Hurm who drew the keeper out and slotted the ball low and inside the far post for her second career brace.
- The final goal of the afternoon came from Delgado but it was all set up by Hurm. Hurm got to a loose ball at midfield and immediately sent it forward to Delgado who was on a run past two Northwestern defenders. The Wildcat keeper came out to tackle the ball away but Delgado deflected it back towards the wide open net for her first career brace.
Fisher From The Spot Pushes Irish Over Saint Louis
- The Irish got off to a strong start to the 2019 season thanks to Sammi Fisher providing the lone goal of the match in Notre Dame’s 1-0 win over Saint Louis.
- The Irish held the majority of possession in the match but the score remained 0-0 heading into the final 20 minutes of regulation.
- Kiki Van Zanten got it all started when she pressured the Billikens back pass to their keeper.
- Van Zanten made a play on the ball and had a wide open net after getting by the keeper but Niehaus pulled her down to force a penalty.
- Fisher stepped up to the ball and calmly struck it into the back of the net after she caught the new Billiken keeper leaning during her approach.
- The Irish defense held off the Saint Louis attack in the final 15 minutes for the shutout.
- Littman made four saves in net and recorded her sixth career clean sheet.