April 2, 2013
Notre Dame, Ind.
In South Bend: ND, 21-5
Last Three Games:
3/18/09 Notre Dame L, 10-5
3/30/10 Notre Dame L, 5-3
3/13/12 Notre Dame L, 8-5
UIC – RHP Brian Evak (1-0, 2.95 ERA)
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame will open a seven-game homestand at 5:35 p.m. ET Tuesday when it plays host to UIC. The 20th-ranked Fighting Irish will look to snap their season-long three-game losing streak.
Notre Dame-UIC Series Notes
- Notre Dame owns a 29-10 series edge over the Flames, including an impressive 21-5 mark at home, but UIC has won each of the last three meetings at Frank Eck Stadium. The Flames have actually captured the last four contests overall.
- Notre Dame dropped just two meetings with UIC between May 3, 1991 and Apr. 23, 1995 – a span of 26 games. The Irish collected winning streaks in the series of 12 and nine games, respectively.
- Notre Dame was a Midwestern Collegiate Conference (now Horizon League) foe of UIC for two years (!994-95).
- The Irish and Flames played doubleheaders in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1988 (twice), 1989 (twice), 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1995 (twice).
TALE OF THE TAPE
|Runs Per Game||4.3||4.8|
|Batters’ BB+HBP-SO Margin||-98||-55|
|Opponent Batting Average||.244||.247|
|Pitchers’ SO-BB Ratio||2.61||1.67|
|Pitchers’ SO Per 9 Innings||6.14||5.49|
|Pitchers’ BB Per 9 Innings||2.35||3.30|
|Fielding Pct. (Errors)||.974 (25)||.965 (33)|
|Double Plays Turned||14||18|
|Record at Home||2-1||9-5|
|Record on Road (including neutral)||13-8||4-6|
|Record in One-Run Games||9-5||3-2|
|Record in Extra Innings||3-1||1-1|
Around The Bases
- Notre Dame has already played 14 games decided by one run. The Irish own a 9-5 record in those outings.
- Six of Notre Dame’s last nine games have been decided by one run.
- The nip-and-tuck battles are nothing new to Notre Dame. The Irish played 18 games decided by one run in 2012. Notre Dame went 11-7 in those outings. In fact, the Irish also played in 20 such games in 2011 as well (going 10-10).
- In all, Notre Dame has played in 52 different one-run contests since third-year head coach Mik Aoki arrived on campus. That’s 52 of 135 games or 38.5 percent of Aoki’s tenure in an Irish uniform. Notre Dame is 30-22 in one-run games under Aoki.
- Over the last three seasons, 70 of Notre Dame’s 135 games (51.9 percent) have been decided by two runs or less.
- Notre Dame has already played nine games against top-25 opponents (No. 25 Virginia Tech, No. 7 UCLA, No. 10 Oklahoma and three games at No. 20 Cal Poly and at No. 10 Louisville). The Irish have captured four of those nine meetings
- Notre Dame has accounted for four of the BIG EAST’s five non-conference wins over top-25 foes in `13.
- Junior 3B Eric Jagielo leads the BIG EAST in batting average (.393), slugging percentage (.714), on-base percentage (.495) and total bases (60). He also ranks second in home runs (seven) and tied for fourth in RBI (25).
- Senior RHP Adam Norton leads the BIG EAST in victories (six) and fewest walks (six). He also ranks third in ERA (1.39), third in innings pitched (51.2), third in runs allowed (eight) and sixth in earned runs allowed (eight).