NOTRE DAME, Indiana — After a successful start to the season in non-conference play, the Notre Dame women’s soccer team is set to open ACC play on Friday. The Irish will travel to the Palmetto state for the second time in two weeks and another top-10 opponent awaits in the 10th-ranked Clemson Tigers.
Know the Opponent: Clemson Tigers
- The Irish and Tigers will tangle for the sixth time in school history with the Irish holding a 4-1 all-time advantage.
- Two of the previous five meetings between the two teams were the ACC opener for both squads.
- Three of the four wins for Notre Dame over Clemson have occurred when the Tigers have been ranked.
- The last time the two teams faced off was the ACC opener in the 2017 season when the Irish defeated No. 11 Clemson, 4-2, on the road.
- Sammi Fisher scored her first career goal and Brooke Littman earned her first career ACC win in the upset victory over the Tigers.
Irish Facts and Figures
- The Irish open their seventh season in the ACC on Friday after joining the league in 2013.
- They are 2-3-1 all-time in ACC openers and this will be the third time they have opened conference play against Clemson.
- Clemson is ranked 10th in the United Soccer Coaches poll this week and will be the second top-10 opponent the Irish will play on the road this season.
- The Irish have the potential to play five top-10 opponents on the road this season, with matchups against No. 4 North Carolina, No. 1 Virginia and No. 8 Duke still on the schedule.
- Nine different players have scored so far this season through the first seven games. Only eight different players scored during the entire 2018 campaign.
- The Irish have a trio of players that have tallied a brace so far this season. Eva Hurm and Luisa Delgado scored twice against Northwestern and Autumn Smithers scored both goals against Western Michigan.
- Eva Hurm and Luisa Delgado both lead the team with three goals on the season.