NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame track and field program opens the 2020 calendar year with its first road meet of the season. The Irish will travel to Grand Valley State to compete in the Bill Clinger Classic at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, Jan. 17.
Apart from some of the distance runners recovering from the cross country season, the Irish will see a majority of their expected point-scorers compete on Friday.
BY THE NUMBERS
20 — The Irish men finished the 2018-19 indoor season with a 20th-place finish at the NCAA Indoor Championships.
12 — Events won by Notre Dame at the season-opening Blue & Gold Invitational on Dec. 6.
8 — The Irish women finished in eighth place at the 2019 ACC Indoor Championships.
6 — The Irish men finished in sixth place at the 2019 ACC Indoor Championships.
4 — The total number of ACC Indoor titles Irish student-athletes claimed in 2019: men’s distance medley relay, men’s mile (Yared Nuguse), men’s weight throw (Logan Kusky) and women’s weight throw (Rachel Tanczos).
1 — The finish of Notre Dame’s men’s distance medley relay team, comprised of Edward Cheatham, Sam Voelz, Dylan Jacobs and Yared Nuguse, at the 2019 NCAA Indoor Championships, winning the program’s first NCAA title (also in the DMR) since 2012. The team also won the ACC title in the event.
- The Irish head to Grand Valley State for their first of 10 indoor meets during the 2020 season.
- Junior Rachel Tanczos shattered her own program-record mark in the weight throw at the Blue & Gold Invitational, tossing a 22.10m and besting her previous personal best of 21.08 set while winning last season’s ACC Championship.
- Senior Logan Kusky is the only thrower in the ACC to record a mark over 21m in the weight throw in the young season, tossing 21.36 to win at the Blue & Gold Invitational.
- Senior Ryan Schweizer got his season off to a good start in December, winning the men’s mile with a time of 4:15.44. This was Schweizer’s first race in two years after missing each of the last two indoor and outdoor track seasons due to injury.
- The Irish took the top two spots in the women’s mile at the Blue & Gold Invitational, as senior Mikayla Schneider won with a time of 4:56.02, six seconds ahead of teammate Anna Fischer in second place.
- Colton Crum is tied for the top spot in the ACC in men’s pole vault with a height of 4.95m.
- Jake Renfree and Zach Kreft hold the top two times in the men’s 3,000m with times of 8:13.88 and 8:16.22, respectively.
- Notre Dame holds two of the top three longest throws of the ACC in the women’s shot put this season. Abbey Kapitan is currently in second with a mark of 15.54m, while Tanczos is in third with a distance of 15.31m.