NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame track and field program welcomes Marquette, Louisville, Illinois State and Loyola (Ill.) to the Notre Dame Invitational this weekend in Loftus Sports Center. The Invitational is set to start at 10 a.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 25.
Apart from some of the distance runners recovering from the cross country season, the Irish will see a majority of their expected point-scorers compete on Saturday.
BY THE NUMBERS
20 — The Irish men finished the 2018-19 indoor season with a 20th-place finish at the NCAA Indoor Championships.
18 — Events won by Notre Dame over the first two meets of the season.
8 — The Irish women finished in eighth place at the 2019 ACC Indoor Championships.
6 — The Irish men finished in sixth place at the 2019 ACC Indoor Championships.
5 — Colton Crum posted the fifth best height in program history in the pole vault at the GVSU Bill Clinger Classic on Jan. 17 with a mark of 5.21m to win the event.
4 — The total number of ACC Indoor titles Irish student-athletes claimed in 2019: men’s distance medley relay, men’s mile (Yared Nuguse), men’s weight throw (Logan Kusky) and women’s weight throw (Rachel Tanczos).
1 — The finish of Notre Dame’s men’s distance medley relay team, comprised of Edward Cheatham, Sam Voelz, Dylan Jacobs and Yared Nuguse, at the 2019 NCAA Indoor Championships, winning the program’s first NCAA title (also in the DMR) since 2012. The team also won the ACC title in the event.
- The Irish host their second meet of the season with the Notre Dame Invitational.
- Notre Dame claimed first place in six events last weekend at the GVSU Bill Clinger Classic, winning the women’s 60m hurdles (Summer Thorpe), women’s 800 (Erin Sullivan), women’s mile (AnnaSophia Keller), women’s 3,000 (Erin Archibeck), women’s high jump (Sarah Flight) and men’s pole vault (Colton Crum).
- Crum ranks first in the ACC in pole vault entering the weekend with a height of 5.21m.
- Junior Rachel Tanczos shattered her own program-record mark in the weight throw at the Blue & Gold Invitational, tossing a 22.10m and besting her previous personal best of 21.08 set while winning last season’s ACC Championship.
- Senior Logan Kusky is the only thrower in the ACC to record a mark over 21m in the weight throw in the young season, tossing 21.36 to win at the Blue & Gold Invitational.
- Senior Ryan Schweizer got his season off to a good start in December, winning the men’s mile with a time of 4:15.44. This was Schweizer’s first race in two years after missing each of the last two indoor and outdoor track seasons due to injury.
- Jake Renfree and Zach Kreft hold the two of the top four times in the men’s 3,000m in the ACC with times of 8:13.88 and 8:16.22, respectively.