NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Irish return to Purcell Pavilion on Wednesday, October 16th for a matchup with Louisville before traveling to Blacksburg on Friday, October 18th to take on Virginia Tech. Wednesday’s matchup, a battle between two teams that are 6-0 in conference play, will be televised on ACC Network at 7 p.m. Friday’s matchup at Virginia Tech will be streamed via ACC Network Extra at 6 p.m.
HISTORY VS. LOUISVILLE
Wednesday marks the 38th meeting between the Irish and Cardinals, with Notre Dame holding a 22-15 edge in the series. The last time these two teams met, the Irish rallied for a five-set victory on November 16th, 2018. Sydney Bent (19 kills) and Charley Niego (17 kills) combined for 36 kills in the win, which took place on Senior Night at Notre Dame.
HISTORY VS. VIRGINIA TECH
Notre Dame and Virginia Tech will be squaring off for the 11th time on Friday night. The Irish have won 7 of the 10 previous matchups against the Hokies, including a sweep last season on October 14th. Notre Dame has won four straight contests against Virginia Tech dating back to October 23rd, 2016.
WELCOME TO BLOCKTOBER
The Irish have totaled 167 team blocks this season, which ranks second in the ACC, and are currently out-blocking their opponents by a +47.5 margin. Graduate student Kristin Baer ranks third in the ACC with 80 total blocks entering this weeke while sophomore Lauren Wenzel ranks 10th in the ACC with 65 blocks.
Notre Dame has matched the 2016 Irish squad for the best start in ACC play at 6-0. They have won nine of their last 10 matches dating back to Saturday, September 14th.
DIGGING THE VIBE
Notre Dame leads the conference with an average of 15.66 digs per set. The Irish have earned 70+ digs in four matches so far in 2019, including a 79-dig effort in a five-set victory over Michigan on September 18th.
- 40 – Irish Volleyball is in the midst of its 40th season of competition at the University
- 15.66 – Entering the week, the Irish lead the ACC with an average of 15.66 digs per set.
- 10.61 – Zoe Nunez currently ranks third in the conference with an average of 10.61 assists per set. The sophomore has racked up 679 assists, which also ranks third in the ACC, in her first 16 matches of the 2019 season.
- 80 – Graduate student Kristin Baer ranks third in the ACC with 80 total blocks entering this week.
- 32 — Notre Dame has posted 32 wins on its home floor over the past three seasons.
- 167 —The Irish have totaled 167 team blocks this season, which ranks second in the ACC. They are currently out-blocking their opponents by a +47.5 margin.