Feb. 15, 2017
By Dan Colleran
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The 15th-ranked Fighting Irish hockey team will play host to 10th-ranked Providence College this weekend in its final regular-season home series of the season.
The series could go a long way in determining playoff positioning as Notre Dame (10-5-3, 23 points) enters the weekend tied for third in the Hockey East standings, just one point ahead of fifth-place Providence (10-6-2, 22 points). The top four seeds will earn a first round bye and then will host a quarterfinal playoff series.
The Irish carry a four-game unbeaten streak (3-0-1) into the weekend, while Providence College is on a nine-game winning streak.
Friday night’s game will include a ceremony during the second intermission to honor the 2006-07 Notre Dame team, which won the first regular season and conference championships in program history and also won the first NCAA Tournament game in program history.
Games 31 & 32
Matchup: Providence at Notre Dame
Date: Friday, Feb. 17 | Saturday, Feb. 18
Time: 7:35 p.m. (EST) | 7:05 p.m.
Site: Notre Dame, Indiana
Arena: Compton Family Ice Arena
Television: NBCSN | TSN2 (Friday only)
Play-By-Play: Steve Schlanger (Friday) | Nick Gismondi (Saturday)
Analyst: Anson Carter
Live Streaming: NBC Sports App | TSN GO
Live Radio | Audio: WZOC 94.3 FM | WatchND
Play-by-Play: Darin Pritchett
Live Stats: Live Updates: @NDHockey
Series History: Series tied 5-5-1 (11 games)
Notes To Know
- Junior goaltender Cal Petersen has started 80 consecutive games in the Irish net dating back to a 5-1 win over Maine on Feb. 7, 2015. It is tied for the fifth-longest streak in NCAA DI history.
- With 26 points (8-18-26), junior defenseman Jordan Gross ranks fourth in Hockey East and tied for sixth in the country in defensemen scoring. His eight goals are also tied for sixth nationally.
- Sophomore forward Andrew Oglevie is on a career-long, 10-game point streak (9-4-13) and he has scored a goal in each of the last five games (6-0-6).
- Cal Burke (1-3-4) has a career-long, four-game point streak.
- Dennis Gilbert has a three-game point streak (0-5-5) and he also has nine assists over the last nine games.
- Dating back to Dec. 2, Jake Evans has notched at least one point in 14 of Notre Dame’s last 16 games (6-12-18).
- During Notre Dame’s current four-game unbeaten streak, 11 players have recorded at least two points, while 16 players have notched at least one point.
- The Irish have scored 15 goals over the last four games, with 10 players combining to score those 15 goals: Andrew Oglevie (4), Jordan Gross (2), Dylan Malmquist (2), Anders Bjork (1), Jake Evans (1), Cal Burke (1), Mike O’Leary (1), Bo Brauer (1), Jack Jenkins (1) and Cam Morrison (1).
Oglevie On The Offensive
- Sophomore forward Andrew Oglevie has 33 points (18-15-33) through 30 games.
- Oglevie’s 33 points are tied for eighth in Hockey East and tied for 19th in the country (his 18 goals are tied for fourth in Hockey East).
- Last season as a freshman, Oglevie totalled nine points (5-4-9) in 31 games.
- Oglevie’s offensive production has been boosted by increased time on the power play, where he has scored four goals and added 10 assists for 14 points.
- Oglevie notched his first career shorthanded goal at Boston College (Jan. 28).
— ND —
Dan Colleran, associate athletics communications director at the University of Notre Dame, has been a part of Fighting Irish Media since August 2015 and coordinates all media and publicity efforts surrounding the Notre Dame hockey and golf programs. A native of Walpole, Massachusetts, Colleran spent the previous three years working with the men’s hockey and soccer programs at Providence College. Colleran also spent two years as an Assistant Executive Director of Communications & Championships at the Ivy League and is a graduate of Providence College (’06 & ’08G).