March 17, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Once again, the No. 36 University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team found itself tied with one match remaining on the court and as has been the case in recent weeks, the Irish found themselves on the wrong end of the rubber match.
The Irish (8-6) fell to No. 24 Texas Tech 4-3 on Tuesday, dropping four singles matches as the Red Raiders (15-4) pushed their winning streak to four. After winning its first three 4-3 matches, the Irish are 0-3 in those matches since.
The Irish picked up the doubles point with wins on Courts 2 and 3. The 14th-ranked duo of Josh Hagar and Eddy Covalschi defeated Jolan Cailleau and Alex Sendegeya 6-3 in a return to the No. 2 slot, while Quentin Monaghan and Dougie Barnard upended Connor Curry and Francisco Zambon, 6-4 at No. 3. In a return to the No. 1 slot after playing apart since Feb. 21, 8th-ranked Billy Pecor and Alex Lawson were holding serve and leading 5-4 over No. 24 Felipe Soares and Hugo Dojas before the match was abandoned.
Texas Tech responded by securing the next two points with wins on Courts 3 and 4. No. 109 Cailleau defeated Eric Schnurrenberger 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 4 slot, while Sendegeya next beat Hagar 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3.
Lawson pulled the Irish even with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Zambon at the fifth position, but Covalschi fell to Dojas 6-3, 6-4 and the Raiders pulled ahead 3-2. No. 22 Quentin Monaghan continued his stellar play this season, notching a 7-6(3), 6-3 victory over 43rd-ranked Soares, leaving Curry and Nicolas Montoya in a third set on Court 6.
Once leading 2-1 in the third set, Curry twice broke Montoya to take a 5-3 lead with the serve. The Irish junior battled from down 15-40 in the game to make it deuce, but couldn’t complete the break and fell 2-6, 6-1, 6-3.
The Irish return to Atlantic Coast Conference action at 3:30 p.m. EDT on Friday when they host No. 9 Virginia at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. On Sunday, they’ll welcome Georgia Tech at noon EDT. For the latest updates on Irish men’s tennis, follow @NDMensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Men’s Tennis on Facebook.
No. 34 Texas Tech 4, No. 36 Notre Dame 3
1. No. 22 Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. No. 43 Felipe Soares (TT), 7-6(3), 6-3
2. Hugo Dojas (TT) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND), 6-3, 6-4
3. Alex Sendegeya (TT) def. Josh Hagar (ND), 6-2, 6-1
4. No. 109 Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND), 6-2, 6-3
5. Alex Lawson (ND) def. Francisco Zambon (TT), 6-4, 6-4
6. Connor Curry (TT) def. Nicolas Montoya (ND), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. No. 8 Alex Lawson / Billy Pecor (ND) v. No. 24 Felipe Soares / Hugo Dojas (TT), 5-4, unfinished
2. No. 14 Eddy Covalschi / Josh Hagar (ND) def. Jolan Cailleau / Alex Sendegeya (TT), 6-3
3. Quentin Monaghan / Dougie Barnard (ND) def. Connor Curry / Francisco Zambon (TT), 6-4
Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant