INDIANAPOLIS – Trailing by 17 points in the second half, Notre Dame staged a big comeback to take a five-point lead in the final minutes but came up just short, dropping a 62-60 decision to Indiana at the Crossroads Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Two Notre Dame players finished with double-doubles, as John Mooney had 15 points and 10 rebounds, and Nate Laszewski registered 10 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Fighting Irish in the contest. Dane Goodwin helped out with 15 points and two steals and Juwan Durham chipped in 11 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Notre Dame struggled out of the gate, falling behind 34-23 heading into halftime.
The Irish trailed by as many as 17 points (44-27 at 15:18) in the second stanza before mounting a big comeback. Notre Dame outscored the Hoosiers 32-10 over the next 12 minutes of action to take a five-point lead at 59-54 with 3:42 left in the contest.
However, Indiana closed the game strong and knocked down a three-pointer with 15 seconds left to retake the lead at 62-60. Notre Dame had one final heave from half court but the shot didn’t fall and the Hoosiers escaped with the victory.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
After being held scoreless in the first half, Goodwin lit up the scoreboard in the final 20 minutes, posting 15 points on 6-of-10 shooting. The sophomore has now recorded a double-digit scoring half in each of his last three games.
STAT OF THE GAME
Notre Dame recorded just nine turnovers on Saturday. The Irish have had less than 10 turnovers in five games this season. Notre Dame outscored the Hoosiers 16-10 in points off turnovers.
- Notre Dame recorded just nine turnovers on Saturday. The Irish have had less than 10 turnovers in five games this season.
- Mooney recorded his eighth double-double in just 10 games that he has played in this season, posting 14 points and 15 rebounds.
- Laszewski’s double-double was the first of his career. The sophomore pulled down a 10 rebounds in the contest, which ties his career high.
- Durham finished in double figures in the scoring column for the fifth time this season and 10th time in his career.
- Goodwin’s double-digit scoring performance was his eighth game of the season with 10 or more points and 16th of his career.
- Laszewski scored 10 or more points for the fifth time this season and 14th time in his career.
The Fighting Irish have the next week off for Christmas and then host Alabama A&M for their final non-conference game of the season at noon ET on Sunday, Dec. 29 at Purcell Pavilion. The game will air on ACCNX and will also be available to stream via the WatchESPN app (subscription required).