NOTRE DAME, Indiana — The Notre Dame Men’s Tennis team opened ACC play with two top-25 battles on the road, Friday and Sunday afternoons. The Irish fell in two hard-fought battles, losing to No. 13 Wake Forest on Friday night before dropping to No. 17 NC State on Sunday.
On Friday evening, No. 6 Richard Ciamarra paced the Irish with a ranked victory over No. 107 Taha Baadi of Wake Forest. The Irish lost two three-set tiebreakers in singles to give the Demon Deacons a difficult 6-1 win.
In a battle of two top-10-ranked singles players on Sunday, NC State’s Alexis Galameau proved victorious over No. 6 Richard Ciamarra, earning a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Axel Nefve and Connor Fu would secure singles wins to put the Irish on the board to make the final 5-2.
#13 Wake Forest 6, Notre Dame 1
- Henri Squire (WF) def. Axel Nefve (ND) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-1
- #6 Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. #107 Taha Baadi (WF) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-2)
- Eduardo Nava (WF) def. Matthew Che (ND) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
- Filippo Moroni (WF) def. Connor Fu (ND) 6-3, 7-5
- Melios Efstathiou (WF) def. Jean-Marc Malkowski (ND) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
- #92 Rrezart Cungu (WF) def. Braeden Ho (ND) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
- #18 Eduardo Nava/Henri Squire (WF) def. Axel Nefve/Richard Ciamarra (ND) 6-3
- Taha Baadi/Adam Ambrozy (WF) def. Willliam Howells/Matt Gamble (ND) 6-0
- Siddhant Banthia/Matthew Thomson (WF) vs. Jean-Marc Malkowski/Matthew Che (ND) 4-3, unfinished
#17 NC State 5, Notre Dame Men’s Tennis 2
- #7 Alexis Galarneau (ST) def. #6 Richard Ciamarra (NDMTEN) 6-0, 6-1
- Axel Nefve (NDMTEN) def. Rafa Izquierdo Luque (ST) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
- #95 Tadas Babelis (ST) def. Matthew Che (NDMTEN) 6-2, 6-3
- Connor Fu (NDMTEN) def. Yannai Barkai (ST) 6-4, 6-3
- Robin Catry (ST) def. Jean-Marc Malkowski (NDMTEN) 6-3, 7-5
- Martins Rocens (ST) def. Braeden Ho (NDMTEN) 6-3, 6-0
- Richard Ciamarra/Axel Nefve (NDMTEN) def. Tadas Babelis/Robin Catry (ST) 6-1
- #23 Alexis Galarneau/Robert Turzak (ST) def. Matt Gamble/William Howells (NDMTEN) 6-3
- Yannai Barkai/Collin Shick (ST) def. Matthew Che/Jean-Marc Malkowski (NDMTEN) 7-5
The Irish will continue their ACC slate with a trip south to Louisville on Thursday, Feb. 25. The match is slated to begin at 4 p.m. ET