NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team earned the No. 7 national seed and will host Johns Hopkins in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship on Sunday, May 12.
The game is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET at Arlotta Stadium and it will be telecast live on ESPNU.
Notre Dame (8-6) went to its third straight Atlantic Coast Conference Championship final by defeating No. 3 Duke 12-10 in the semifinal before falling to top-seeded Virginia in the title game. Johns Hopkins went 8-7 in the regular season and fell to No. 1 Penn State in overtime in the Big Ten title game.
The Irish and Blue Jays have played five times in program history, all coming in the NCAA Championships. Johns Hopkins won the last matchup, defeating Notre Dame in overtime on May 12, 2007 in Baltimore. Unofficially, the last meeting between the Irish and Blue Jays came in the San Francisco Fall Classic on October 16, 2010, as Notre Dame won by a score of 10-7.
The winner of Notre Dame’s first-round contest against Johns Hopkins will take on the winner of the first-round tilt between No. 2 seed Duke and Richmond in the quarterfinals.
Notre Dame In The NCAA Championship
- Notre Dame owns a 19-23 record in 23 previous trips to the NCAA Championship.
- The 2019 season marks Notre Dame’s 14th straight appearance in the NCAA Championship.
- Notre Dame and Maryland are the only two programs to earn an NCAA berth each of the last 14 seasons.
- Notre Dame is 14-9 over the last nine NCAA Championships, including, including national semifinal apperances in 2012 and 2015 and title game appearances in 2010 and 2014.
- The Irish have advanced to at least the NCAA Championship quarterfinals in eight of the last nine seasons.
- This is the 12th time overall–and 11th time in the last 12 seasons–the Irish have earned one of the eight national seeds for the NCAA Championship.
- The Irish also were seeded for the 2001 (5th), 2008 (6th), 2009 (7th), 2011 (4th), 2012 (4th), 2013 (2nd), 2014 (6th), 2015 (1st), 2016 (3rd), 2017 (4th) and 2018 (7th) tournaments.
- Notre Dame advanced to the NCAA championship weekend in 2001, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015 and played in the title game in 2010 and 2014.
The 17-team NCAA Championship field is comprised of nine automatic-qualifying teams and eight at-large squads. The top eight teams in the bracket are seeded. Four ACC programs made the field and three are seeded (No. 2 Duke, No. 3 Virginia and No. 8 Notre Dame).
Notre Dame faced five of the other NCAA Championship teams this season, recording wins over No. 2 Duke, Maryland and Syracuse.
The tournament’s semifinals and finals will be held May 25 and 27 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. For more information on the 2019 NCAA Division I Men’s Lacrosse Championship, including a complete bracket, log onto ncaa.com.
For ticket information, call the Notre Dame ticket office at 574-631-7356 or visit www.UND.com/buytickets. Ticket office hours are 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. ET.
The University of Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team pursues excellence on and off the field through the three pillars in which the program is built: Character, Culture & Community. These three foundational values guide the promise of the program, which is to provide its student-athletes with the most compelling and enriching experience in all of college athletics. Through academics, competition, service and travel, the program aims to immerse its players in situations that enhance their student-athlete experience to help them become the people, students and teammates they aspire to be.
Follow the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team on social media and the Internet …
Click here to follow ND Lacrosse on Twitter
Click here to follow ND Lacrosse Coaching Tips on Twitter
Click here to learn more about the ND Lacrosse Experience on Twitter
Click here to like ND Lacrosse on Facebook
Click here to subscribe to NDLaxTV YouTube Channel
Click here to read the latest news on ND Lacrosse
Click here to learn more about ND Lacrosse Camps
Click here to learn about ND Lacrosse community service on Twitter