June 29, 2018
The Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association has released its 2017-18 Scholar Athlete Awards and the University of Notre Dame rowing team earned 10 individual awards, led by Atlantic Coast Conference Rowing Scholar Athlete of the Year and graduated senior Treasa O’Tighearnaigh.
The award marks the first CRCA Scholar Athlete accolade for graduated seniors Stephanie Dubois, Jeanne Farnan and Elizabeth Walter. Meredith Swartz and Lauren Saunee finished their Notre Dame careers as two-time selections while O’Tighearnaigh joins Reilly Kearney as three-time award winners (the most a player can receive in a career).
CRCA SCHOLAR ATHLETE REQUIREMENTS
- The student-athlete has met all eligibility rules as defined by her institution
- The student-athlete was in her 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of eligibility
- The student-athlete rowed in her institution’s NCAA or IRA eligible boat(s) for a minimum of 75% of the current spring races or racing in a regional conference event.
- The Head Coach of the student-athletes institution was a member in good standing of the CRCA as of May 1, 2018.
CRCA SCHOLAR ATHLETE CRITERIA
- The student-athlete has had a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher for her career (through the fall semester/quarter for the current competition year).
2017-18 NOTRE DAME CRCA SCHOLAR ATHLETES
Stephanie Dubois, Senior, McLean, VA, Economics and Sociology
Jeanne Farnan, Senior, Pittsburgh, PA, Philosophy and Preprofessional
Kelly Fischer, Junior, Titusville, NJ, Finance
Gen Johanni, Junior, Columbus, OH, Accountancy and Economics
Reilly Kearney, Senior, San Mateo, CA, Computer Science
Treasa O’Tighearnaigh, Senior, Powell, OH, Biological Sciences and Economics
Julia Randall, Sophomore, Montclair, NJ, Economics
Lauren Saunee, Senior, New Orleans, LA, Psychology and Preprofessional
Meredith Swartz, Senior, Westerville, OH, International Economics
Elizabeth Walter, Senior, Orchard Park, NY, English