NOTRE DAME, Indiana — The Notre Dame Women’s Tennis team opened ACC play, dropping two close, 4-3 matches to Boston College and Syracuse on Friday and Sunday afternoon at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
With only five players available on Friday, the Irish were unable to field a third doubles team and secured a single doubles win, thus dropping the doubles point to Boston College.
In singles play, the Irish would not go away quietly, securing three singles wins from Cameron Corse, Page Freeman, and Yashna Yellayi. With the match on the line, Maeve Koscielski battled BC’s Marice Aguiar to a tie-breaking third set before ultimately falling, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2.
On Sunday, the Irish earned the doubles point, securing victories from Cameron Corse and Page Freeman as well as Yashna Yellayi to clinch the 1-0 lead.
Julia Lilien was scratched in singles play, giving Syracuse a forfeit victory and knotting the match at one apiece. Page Freeman and Maeve Koscielski would both earn singles wins to add to the Irish tally.
With the match knotted at three apiece, it would once again come down to the final singles match of the day. Ally Bojczuk fough diligently, but ultimately fell in a third-set tiebreaker, 7-5, 2-6, 6-2 to give the Orange the win, 4-3.
Boston College 4, Notre Dame WTEN 3
- Cameron Corse (ND) def. Yufei Long (BC) 6-2, 6-2
- Kylie Wilcox (BC) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-2, 6-3
- Page Freeman (ND) def. Natasha Irani (BC) 6-3, 6-3
- Marice Aguiar (BC) def. Maeve Koscielski (ND) 6-7, 7-6, 6-2
- Yashna Yellayi (ND) def. Laura Lopez (BC) 6-3, 6-1
- No player (BC) def. No player (ND), by forfeit
- Cameron Corse/Page Freeman (ND) vs. Yufei Long/Kylie Wilcox (BC) 2-5, unfinished
- Marice Aguiar/Laura Lopez (BC) def. Maeve Koscielski/Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-4
- No player/No player (BC) def. No player/No player (ND), by forfeit
Syracuse 4, Notre Dame WTEN 3
- V. Kanapatskaya (SU) def. Cameron Corse (ND) 7-6, 6-2
- Natalie Novotna (SU) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
- Page Freeman (ND) def. Miranda Ramirez (SU) 6-4, 6-1
- Maeve Koscielski (ND) def. Ines Fonte (SU) 7-6, 6-3
- Polina Kozyreva (SU) def. Yashna Yellayi (ND) 6-3, 6-4
- No player (SU) def. No player (ND), by forfeit
- Page Freeman/Cameron Corse (ND) def. Sofya Treshcheva/Polina Kozyreva (SU) 6-3
- Maeve Koscielski/Ally Bojczuk (ND) vs. Natalie Novotna/V. Kanapatskaya (SU) 3-5, unfinished
- Yashna Yellayi/Julia Lilien (ND) def. Miranda Ramirez/Ines Fonte (SU) 6-1
The Irish will head to their first ACC road matches of the season, playing on Saturday and Sunday in the Triangle. The Irish will battle North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 27, before taking on Duke on Sunday, Feb. 28. Both matches are slated to begin at 11 a.m. ET.