BLOOMINGTON, IN — The Notre Dame men’s tennis team fell to in-state competitor Indiana, 4-3, Saturday afternoon in a nail-biter of a battle. The two teams met for the third time in five years with the Irish hoping to get another victory under their belt.
Once again, Axel Nefve and Tristan MCormick were paired up on Court 1. The duo defeated IU’s Bennett Crane and Zac Brodney in a quick 6-3 set. Matt Gamble and Richard Ciamarra clinched doubles and secured the first point of the match for the Irish as they conquered William Piekarsky and Carson Haskins, 6-4. Matt Che and Paul Gota were unable to finish their doubles match due to ND already winning the doubles point.
Although the Irish started off on the right foot during doubles, it was back and forth between ND and IU throughout singles.
Matt Gamble fell to Patrick Fletchall 6-2, 6-2, to tie things up for the Hoosiers. Court 1 was the next to finish as No. 5 Richard Ciamarra defeated Bennett Crane in two, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2). Ciamarra’s victory put the Irish back on top, 2-1, but the teams would soon be tied again when Connor Fu fell to Luka Vukovic, 7-5, 6-4. The Hoosiers then moved on to claim the 3-2 lead as Matthew Che dropped his match to Vikash Singh, 6-3, 6-4. No. 102 Axel Nefve regained hope for the Irish as he defeated Zac Brodney, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0, to tie things up for the final time, 3-3.
It all came down to Court 3 with Tristan McCormick and Carson Haskins. McCormick started off strong with a 6-4 set victory before dropping one to Haskins, 6-3. It was back and forth in the final set, each clinching a game until it was tied 4-4. Unfortunately, McCormick was unable to secure the match victory after a very hard-fought battle bringing the Hoosier’s game total to 4.
The Irish continue their first roadstead of the season at Boston College on February 7 at 12 p.m. ET before traveling to Illinois for a weekend matchup on February 15.
Indiana University 4, Notre Dame 3
1. #5 RICHARD CIAMARRA (ND) def. Bennett Crane (IU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
2. #102 AXEL NEFVE (ND) def. Zac Brodney (IU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
3. Carson Haskins (IU) def. TRISTAN MCCORMICK (ND) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Patrick Fletchall (IU) def. MATT GAMBLE (ND) 6-2, 6-2
5. Luka Vukovic (IU) def. CONNOR FU (ND) 7-5, 6-4
6. Vikash Singh (IU) def. MATTHEW CHE (ND) 6-3, 6-4
1. AXEL NEFVE/TRISTAN MCCORMICK (ND) def. Bennett Crane/Zac Brodney (IU) 6-3
2. MATT GAMBLE/RICHARD CIAMARRA (ND) def. William Piekarsky/Carson Haskins (IU) 6-4
3. Payam Ahmadi/Patrick Fletchall (IU) vs. MATTHEW CHE/PAUL GOTA (ND) 5-3, unfinished
Notre Dame 2-3
Indiana University 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,1,5,6,2,3)