NOTRE DAME, IN — Notre Dame Fighting Irish dominate the in-state competition as the team swept in doubles and secured three more singles victories to clinch the 4-1 win over the Purdue Boilermakers. This is the first regular-season matchup between the Irish and Boilermakers in almost 12 years. The last meeting was February 24, 2008, when Notre Dame swept Purdue, 7-0 at home.
The Irish started the afternoon off strong, earning convincing wins of 6-3 and 6-2 to secure the doubles point.
Tristan McCormick and Axel Nefve finished first, sweeping their Purdue opponents 6-3 to give the Irish an edge with two matches still competing. The doubles duo, Richard Ciamarra and Matt Gamble, took the point as they defeated their contesters, 6-2.
Court two finished first as Nefve defeated Mateo Julio 6-3, 6-3 to claim the first singles victory of the afternoon.
Irish then faced their first deficit of the day as Purdue’s Athell Bennett took down Richard Ciamarra in hard-fought straight sets, 7-6, 6-4.
The Irish came back with the next one as Tristan McCormick battled it out with Maksymilian Raupuk in three sets. Raupuk took the first, 3-6, before McCormick bounced-back to claim the second set, 6-2. It all came down to the third. Purdue could tie it up 2-2 or the Irish would advance to 3-1. McCormick ultimately persevered to secure the win after defeating his contestant, 6-3 in the third.
In dramatic fashion, the last match of the day had everyone on the edge of their seats looking for the win as William Howells challenged Michal Wozniak to a three-set duel. Howells easily secured the first, 6-1 before dropping the second to Wozniak, 3-6. Battling back-and-forth early, Howells pulled away after to post a final set win of 6-3 to clinch the Irish victory, 4-1.
FINAL BOX SCORE
UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME 4, PURDUE UNIVERSITY 1
1. #45 ATHELL BENNETT (PU) def. #5 RICHARD CIAMARRA (ND) 7-6, 6-4
2. #102 AXEL NEFVE (ND) def. MATEO JULIO (PU) 6-3, 6-3
3. TRISTAN MCCORMICK (ND) def. MAKSYMILIAN RAUPUK (PU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. WILLIAM HOWELLS (ND) def. MICHAL WOZNIAK (PU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
5. MATTHEW CHE (ND) vs. SEBASTIAN WELCH (PU) unfinished
6. CONNOR FU (ND) vs. FRANZ LUNA (PU) unfinished
1. TRISTAN MCCORMICK/AXEL NEFVE (ND) def. ATHELL BENNETT/MAKSYMILIAN RAUPUK (PU) 6-3
2. RICHARD CIAMARRA/MATT GAMBLE (ND) def. MICHAL WOZNIAK/TOMASZ DUDEK (PU) 6-2
3. GUILLERMO CABRERA/WILLIAM HOWELLS (ND) vs. SEBASTIAN WELCH/MATEO JULIO (PU) unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,1,3)
The Irish are now 1-1 in 2020 and will hit the road this Saturday for Kick-off Weekend hosted by TCU. Notre Dame’s first match of the weekend, against Arizona, gets underway at 11 a.m. ET followed by a duel on Sunday at 2 p.m. ET. The opponent is TBD at this time.