NOTRE DAME, Ind. — For the second time in three seasons, the Notre Dame volleyball team is heading to the NCAA Tournament. The Irish are heading to the Madison, Wisconsin, regional and will take on UCLA on Friday, Dec. 6th at 5:30 p.m. ET at the UW Field House.
“We are excited. I’m thankful to our players and our staff for their work throughout the year, and this opportunity is a culmination of everyone’s efforts,” said head coach Mike Johnson. “We are grateful to keep playing and will continue to prepare to become the very best that we are capable.”
Joining Notre Dame (19-9, 12-6 ACC) and UCLA in the Madison Regional are the fourth-seeded Wisconsin and Illinois State. The Badgers and Redbirds will meet on Friday following the Notre Dame/UCLA contest. The winners of those two matchups will meet on Saturday, December 7th at 7 p.m. ET with a spot in the round of 16 on the line.
NOTRE DAME IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
- This marks Notre Dame’s 20th appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
- Notre Dame owns a 14-19 record in 19 previous trips to the NCAA Tournament.
- The Irish have an all-time record of 11-8 in their first match of the tournament.
- Notre Dame has advanced to at least the NCAA Tournament round of 16 on six occasions.
- Notre Dame’s best finish at the NCAA Tournament came in 1993, when the Irish advanced to the quarterfinals by defeating No. 8 Nebraska and Minnesota.
- The last time the Irish made it to the second weekend of play came in 2005, when Notre Dame defeated Dayton and Northwestern in the first two rounds at home to advance to the round of 16.
- The Irish played Western Kentucky in their last match in the NCAA Tournament on Dec. 1, 2017, in Lexington, Kentucky.
The 64-team NCAA Championship field is comprised of 32 automatic-qualifying teams and 32 at-large squads. The top 16 teams in the bracket are seeded. The Irish were one of four ACC programs to make the field, joining Pittsburgh, Louisville and Florida State.
The 2019 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship will be held at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The National Semifinals will be held December 19, at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN. The National Championship will take place December 21, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
All-session tickets for NCAA First and Second Round matches go on-sale beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Monday. Single-session tickets go on-sale beginning at 8:30 a.m. day of match. Tickets may be purchased in-person at the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office (Gate 1, Camp Randall Stadium), over-the-phone by calling 1-800-GO-BADGERS or 608-262-1440, or online at UWBadgers.com. Additionally, tickets will be sold at Gate C day of match. For more information, click here.
For more information on the 2019 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship, including a complete bracket, click here.