Feb. 25, 2017
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 41 University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team made easy work of both Michigan State (6-0) and Bowling Green (6-0) at the Eck Tennis Pavilion Saturday afternoon. The Irish improved to 9-1 overall with their sixth consecutive victory.
How It Happened
The Irish jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the match by claiming the doubles’ point to start the day. Notre Dame’s No. 1 pairing of Brooke Boda and Monica Johnson dominated their match, as they blanked the Spartans 6-0 in a little over 20 minutes. The No. 2 and 3 matches were highly contested and the Irish No. 3 team of Jane Fennelly and Zoe Spence prevailed 6-4 to earn the first point of the match.
Notre Dame carried its momentum from doubles into singles play, as the Irish won the opening set on all six courts to put the team in command. Robinson was the first off the court, recording a 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 1 position. Closs then was victorious at No. 5 singles to put the Irish one win away from clinching the match. Spence delivered Notre Dame the winning point by registering a 7-5, 6-2 win at the No. 4 spot to improve the team to 8-1 on the season. Miller and Rachel Chong also notched victories at No. 3 and No. 6 singles, respectively, to give the Irish the 6-0 win.
Notre Dame captured the doubles point with victories at No. 3 doubles (forfeit) and No. 2 doubles. Mary Closs and Allison Miller knocked off Polina Radeva and Ayumi Sasaki, 6-4. Closs and Miller improved to 6-4 on the season and 5-3 in No. 2 dual matches. Bowling Green was able to take the No. 1 doubles match as Paula Comella and Marharia Tavpash upended Monica Robinson and Jane Fennelly, 6-2.
With Robinson resting for the singles portion of the match, Notre Dame pushed its rotation up one spot in the lineup and didn’t miss a beat. After the Irish extended their lead in the dual to 2-0 due to a forfeit at No. 6 singles, Rachel Chong was the first off the court following a dominating 6-0, 6-0 victory over Emily Witt at No. 5. Chong disposed of Witt in just over 35 minutes and improved to 9-4 overall and 5-2 in duals, including 3-0 at No. 5. Miller followed suit and clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Tavpash at No. 2 singles. Miller won the first eight games of the match, but fell behind 2-1 in the second set only to close out the match in style with five consecutive points. Miller upped her record to 14-4 overall and 9-1 in duals, including 4-1 at No. 2. Zoe Spence pushed the Notre Dame lead to 5-0 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Radeva at No. 3. Spence, who has won 11 consecutive matches, leads the Irish in overall victories (15-4) and improved to 10-0 in duals. Mary Closs closed out the match for Notre Dame. She defeated Sasaki, 6-2, 6-2, and improved to 8-5 overall and 6-0 in duals.
“I was impressed impressed with our intensity in both matches,” head coach Jay Louderback said. “We played five matches in eight daysand were still playing at full tilt.”
The Irish will close out its current five-match homestand next weekend when it welcomes Atlantic Coast Conference opponents Boston College at 4 p.m. ET Friday and Syracuse at noon ET Sunday.
Notre Dame 6, Michigan State 0
February 25, 2017
Eck Tennis Pavilion
1. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Erin Faulkner (MSU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Brooke Broda (ND) vs. Aslina Chua (MSU), 7-5, 2-5, unfinished
3. Allison Miller (ND) def. Emily Metcalf (MSU), 6-1, 7-5
4. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Davina Nguyen (MSU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Lexi Baylis (MSU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Rachel Chong (ND) def. Athena Trouillot (MSU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Brooke Broda / Monica Robinson (ND) def. Allie Baer / Erin Faulkner (MSU), 6-0
2. Allison Miller / Mary Closs (ND) vs. Emily Metcalf / Davina Nguyen (MSU), 5-5, unfinished
3. Jane Fennelly / Zoe Spence (ND) def. Athena Trouillot / Samantha Memije, 6-4
Notre Dame 6, Bowling Green 0
February 25, 2017
Eck Tennis Pavilion
1. Brooke Broda (ND) vs. Paula Comella (BGSU), 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
2. Allison Miller (ND) def. Marharia Tavpash (BGSU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Polina Radeva (BGSU), 6-0, 6-3
4. Mary Closs (ND) def. Ayumi Sasaki (BGSU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Rachel Chong (ND) def. Emily Witt (BGSU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jane Fennelly (ND) won by forfeit
1. Paula Comella / Marharia Tavpash (BGSU) def. Jane Fennelly / Monica Robinson (ND), 6-2
2. Allison Miller / Mary Closs (ND) def. Polina Radeva / Ayumi Sasaki, 6-4
3. Rachel Chong / Zoe Spence (ND) won by forfeit
To keep up with all things Irish women’s tennis, be sure to follow @NDWomensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Women’s Tennis on Facebook.
— ND —