NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame baseball team welcomes another ranked conference foe to Frank Eck Stadium with the No. 21 North Carolina Tar Heels. The Tar Heels will be the fourth ranked opponent the Irish have faced since conference play started one month ago. The three-game series is set to begin Friday night with first pitch at 6 p.m. ET and all three games will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.
|No. 21 North Carolina (25-9, 8-7 ACC) vs. Notre Dame (12-19, 7-8 ACC)|
|When:|| Friday, April 12 | 6:00 p.m. ET
Saturday, April 13 | 1:00 p.m. ET (Free Admission)
Saturday, April 14 | 45 minutes after game one ends (Free Admission)
|Where:||Notre Dame, Ind. | Frank Eck Stadium|
|Watch:|| ACC Network Extra – Friday
ACC Network Extra – Saturday Game 1
ACC Network Extra – Saturday Game 2
Know the Opponent: North Carolina
- North Carolina will travel to Notre Dame in mid-April coming off a College World Series appearance last season. The Tar Heels finished sixth and defeated eventual national champion Oregon State in their first game in Omaha.
- The Irish hold a 5-4 advantage over North Carolina and it will be the Tar Heels first trip to Frank Eck Stadium in four years.
- Back in 2015, the Irish swept the 20th-ranked Tar Heels in a three-game series. The Irish clinched the sweep in the final game after a Kyle Richardson hit a walk-off home run in the ninth inning.
- The Tar Heels enter this weekend’s series ranked No. 21 and hold a 25-9 record and 8-7 in the ACC.
- The Irish already have four wins over ranked opponents this season, all coming in conference play (No. 12 Clemson twice, No. 19 Florida State, No. 29 Georgia Tech).
Kavadas Continues Hot Streak at the Plate
- Over the past 10 games, Niko Kavadas has been red hot at the plate for the Irish.
- He is 14-for-35 (.400) and has recorded a hit in nine of the previous 10 games, including four multi-hit games.
- He has hit four home runs and tallied 15 RBI in that span, both of which were team highs over the past 10 games.
- Kavadas holds the team lead with 31 RBI and 10 home runs. The 10 home runs currently ranks third in the ACC and ties Eric Gilgenbach and Matt Vierling for the team-high total from the 2018 season.
- Kavadas has raised his batting average from .190 to .254 over the recent 10-game stretch.
Myers Shines in Leadoff Spot
- Spencer Myers has been in the leadoff spot all season for the Irish and has had a knack to get on base and advance into scoring position quickly.
- He leads the team in multiple categories including runs (28), hits (36), batting average (.308), and on-base percentage (.409) and is a perfect 13-for-13 on the base paths this season.
- In his last five games, he has had four multi-hit games and has tied a career high with three hits three times over that span.
- In total, Myers is 11-for-24 (.458) and has tallied five runs and three steals.