Oct. 26, 2013
ORLANDO, Fla. — Notre Dame continued play today in the USTA Collegiate Clay Court Invitational, hosted by Florida State University. Sophomore Quentin Monaghan won both of his singles matches today, advancing to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
Monaghan, the eighth seed in the tournament, defeated Blake Davis of FSU, 7-6(1), 6-0. In the afternoon, he took down Brandon Fickey of UT, 3-6, 7-6(2), 6-0 to advance to the final eight. Tomorrow, he will play the No. 1 seed, Roberto Quiroz of USC.
Sophomore Eric Schnurrenberger beat Jose Sangroinz of UCF in the consolation singles round, 6-4, 6-2, before playing an extra match against Bhat of UT and winning again, 6-3, 6-1.
The remaining doubles team, Sabacinski and Montoya, lost in the second round to Gomes and Zuern of UNF in a close match, 8-7(0).
AUSTIN, Texas — In another warm weather state, seven other members of the men’s tennis squad had a phenomenal first day at the UT Invitational, hosted by the University of Texas at the Pennick-Allison Tennis Center.
In the singles A draw, sophomore Alex Lawson won his first match before falling to No. 1 seed George Goldhoff, 6-2, 6-4.
Senior Ryan Bandy won both of his matches after a first round bye to advance to the quarterfinals. He beat Michael Feucht, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3, this afternoon and will play Mate Cutura tomorrow morning at 10:30 a.m.
Freshman Josh Hagar won three matches today in order to advance to the quarterfinals as well. He will face the third seed, Adrien Berkowicz of Texas, tomorrow morning at 11:30.
Freshman Eddy Covalschi won his first match against Kolby Kilgo, 602, 602 before falling to Jacoby Lewis of Texas, 6-1, 6-4.
In the B draw, senior Matt Dooley won both his matches, taking down the fourth seed Gled Skylr of Marquette in the second round, 6-3, 6-1. Junior Dougie Barnard beat Kris Trukov of Marquette, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, before falling to the second seed Clement Homs, 6-4, 6-1. Junior Michael Fredericka defeated Austin Robles of UTA in three sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 before falling to Tyler’s Ryan Hudelson, 6-2, 6-1.
In doubles, Barnard and Fredericka defeated Pablo Colvee and Francesco Migliano of UT Arlington, 8-5, while Covalschi and Lawson beat Jack McCullers and Grant Taylor of Air Force, 8-3.
- Josh Hagar (Notre Dame) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
- Alex Lawson (Notre Dame) def. Vaughn Hunter (Tyler JC) 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
- Ryan Bandy (Notre Dame) def. Alex Grubbs (Air Force) 6-2, 6-1
- Josh Hagar (Notre Dame) def. Carlos Arbiza (UT Arlington) 7-5, 6-2
- Eddy Covalschi (Notre Dame) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
- Matt Dooley (Notre Dame) def. Matt Mussenden (UTSA) 7-6, 6-3
- Gleb Sklyr (Marquette) def. Trey Seymour (Tyler JC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Michael Fredericka (Notre Dame) def. Austin Robles (UT Arlington) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Doug Barnard (Notre Dame) def. Kris Trukov (Marquette) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
- George Goldhoff (Texas) def. Alex Lawson (Notre Dame) 6-4, 6-2
- Ryan Bandy (Notre Dame) vs. Michael Feucht (Lamar) — no result
- Josh Hagar (Notre Dame) def. Cam Tehrani (Marquette) 6-1, 6-3
- Jacoby Lewis (Texas) def. Eddy Covalschi (Notre Dame) 6-1, 6-4
- Matt Dooley (Notre Dame) def. Gleb Sklyr (Marquette) 6-3, 6-1
- Ryan Hudelson (Tyler JC) def. Michael Fredericka (Notre Dame) 6-2, 6-1
- Clement Homs (Texas) def. Doug Barnard (Notre Dame) 6-4, 6-1
- Doug Barnard/Michael Fredericka (Notre Dame) def. Pablo Colvee/Francesco Migliano (UT Arlington) 8-5
- Eddy Covalschi/Alex Lawson (Notre Dame) def. Jack McCullers/Grant Taylor (Air Force) 8-3
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant