April 22, 2012
TAMPA, Fla. – After a disappointing Saturday saw the No. 28 Notre Dame men’s tennis team fall in the semifinals of the BIG EAST Championship, the Irish rebounded on Sunday to secure third place with a 4-1 win over St. John’s on the campus of the University of South Florida.
Due to time constraints because of poor weather in the Tampa area, singles matches were played first, with the doubles point not factoring into the decision.
Notre Dame won matches from seniors Casey Watt at one (6-3, 6-4) and Niall Fitzgerald at five (6-4, 6-4), from sophomore Greg Andrews at two (6-4, 6-0) and from junior Blas Moros at six (7-5, 6-4) to clinch the win.
The Irish (20-8) will now await word from the NCAA on whether they will included in the National Championship field of 64, which is set to begin on Friday, May 11 on the campus sites of the top seeds.
- Casey Watt (ND) def. No. 71 Vasko Mladenov (STJ) 6-3, 6-4
- No. 62 Greg Andrews (ND) def. Milo Haul (STJ) 6-4, 6-0
- Sam Keeton (ND) vs. Ilija Vucic (STJ) 0-6, 7-5, 4-4 DNF
- Stefan Bojic (STJ) def. Billy Pecor (ND) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
- Niall Fitzgerald (ND) def. Mike Lampa (STJ) 6-4, 6-4*
- Blas Moros (ND) def. Valentin Mahai (STJ) 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 6, 4, 5*