Aug. 25, 2016
By Dan Colleran
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – University of Notre Dame Head Coach Jeff Jackson has announced incoming freshmen Felix Holmberg and Luke Novak have joined the Fighting Irish hockey program for the upcoming 2016-17 season.
Holmberg and Novak join defensemen Tory Dello and Andrew Peeke, forwards Cal Burke, Mike O’Leary and Cam Morrison, as well as goaltender Cale Morris as incoming freshmen for the upcoming season.
FELIX HOLMBERG (F)
Stockholm, Sweden | AIK J20 (SuperElit) | 5-11 | 176
- Holmberg has played in the AIK program for the last four seasons, including the past two full seasons as part of AIK’s SuperElit team.
- In 15 games last season, he scored four goals and added 10 assists for 14 points.
- In 2014-15, Holmberg skated in 41 games and scored four goals and notched 18 assists for 22 points.
- He totaled 65 games in the SuperElit (8-28-36).
- In 32 games at the J18 Elit level, he notched 17 goals and added 28 assists for 45 points.
- Holmberg played youth hockey for Enebybergs IF.
LUKE NOVAK (F)
Waukesha, Wisconsin | New Jersey Hitmen (USPHL) | 6-0 | 185
- Novak played the 2015-16 season with the New Jersey Hitmen and in 41 games he totaled 12 goals and 35 assists for 47 points.
- He helped lead the Hitmen to the 2016 USPHL Championship, notching two goals and five assists for seven points in seven playoff games.
- His 47 points ranked tied for 13th in the league, while his 35 assists tied for sixth.
- Three of his goals and 10 of his assists came while skating on the power play.
- Prior to skating with the Hitmen, Novak played the 2014-15 season with both the Cowichan Valley Capitals (BCHL) and the Amarillo Bulls (NAHL).
- In 45 games with the Bulls, he scored 14 goals and added 23 assists for 37 points.
- From 2011-14, he skated with the Milwaukee Jr. Admirals (T1EHL) U18 team.
The Fighting Irish open the 2016-17 regular season with a weekend home series against Arizona State on Oct. 7-8 at the Compton Family Ice Arena. To purchase tickets, visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —
Dan Colleran, associate athletics communications director at the University of Notre Dame, has been a part of Fighting Irish Media since August 2015 and coordinates all media and publicity efforts surrounding the Notre Dame hockey and men’s golf programs. A native of Walpole, Massachusetts, Colleran spent the previous three years working with the men’s hockey and soccer programs at Providence College. Colleran also spent two years as an Assistant Executive Director of Communications & Championships at the Ivy League and is a graduate of Providence College (’06 & ’08G).