NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Junior goaltender Cale Morris has been named the Big Ten’s Third Star of the Week the conference announced on Tuesday morning (Nov. 6).
Morris helped the now sixth-ranked Irish to a weekend split with seventh-ranked Ohio State. He posted a 1.01 goals against average and an impressive .968 save percentage in the weekend series. He led the Irish to the game two win by stopping 38 of the 39 shots he faced.
Last season, Morris was named the Big Ten’s Player and Goaltender of the Year and earned First Team All-American honors. He was named the Big Ten’s First (5), Second (2) or Third (1) Star of the Week eight times in 2017-18.
Morris and the Irish will continue Big Ten play this weekend with a two-game series at Michigan on Nov. 9-10. Both games will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET. Last season the two teams met five times, with the Irish claiming victory in three of those contests. The season tiebreaker between the two came in the 2018 NCAA Frozen Four Semifinal game when Jake Evans notched the game-winner with 5.2 seconds remaining in regulation.
BIG TEN STARS OF THE WEEK — Nov. 5
First Star: Patrick Khodorenko, Jr., F, MSU
Second Star: Sean Romeo, Sr., G, OSU
Third Star: Cale Morris, Jr., G, Notre Dame
NOTRE DAME’S 2018-19 WEEKLY B1G HONORS
Cal Burke: Third Star (Oct. 23)
Cale Morris: Third Star (Nov. 6)
Bobby Nardella: First Star (Oct. 23)
Joe Wegwerth: First Star (Oct. 16)
LET’S TAKE THIS OUTSIDE
- Notre Dame and Michigan will meet at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019 in an outdoor game at Notre Dame Stadium.
- The rivals will meet four days following the 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® featuring the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins, on January 1, 2019.
- Just four months after Notre Dame and Michigan met in a football game at Notre Dame Stadium that saw the Irish post a 24-17 victory, the rivalry will take to the ice in the House That Rockne Built in a game that will be televised by the NBC Sports Network.
- Tickets for the game versus Michigan went on sale beginning on Monday, Nov. 5.
- Visit und.com/buytickets or call 833-ND-IRISH and keep up to date with all ticketing information by following us on Twitter @NDtix.
— ND —