WHO: #16/15 Notre Dame (18-13-3, 11-11-2-2 B1G) vs. Michigan State (12-17-5, 8-12-4-2 B1G)
WHEN: Friday, March 8 – 7 p.m. ET | Saturday, March 9 – 7 p.m. ET | Sunday, March 10 – 7 p.m .ET (if necessary)
WHERE: Compton Family Ice Arena
WATCH: BTN Plus
LISTEN: 94.3 FM (South Bend) & UND.com
TICKETS: Click here
THE SERIES VS. MICHIGAN STATE
- Former CCHA rivals, the Irish and Spartans have met 121 times in program history, dating back to their first meeting in 1926, which was played at the University Rink in East Lansing, Michigan (Notre Dame won the first game, 3-1).
- All-time, the Spartans lead the series 63-46-12 but the Irish hold the edge at home, 27-23-8.
- During the 2018-19 regular season, Notre Dame posted a 3-0-1 record against the Spartans, including a road sweep (Nov. 16-17) and a 1-0-1 series at the Compton Family Ice Arena that included Notre Dame securing the extra point in game two with a shootout victory (Jan. 25-26).
- Notre Dame’s offensive leaders this season against the Spartans include Michael Graham (4 GP, 2-3-5), Bobby Nardella (4 GP, 1-4-5), Dylan Malmquist (4 GP, 2-2-4) and Mike O’Leary (4 GP, 0-4-4).
- In net Cale Morris has played all four games, with a 1.47 goals-against average and a .957 save percentage to go along with the 3-0-1 record.
- Notre Dame’s active career leaders against the Spartans include Bobby Nardella (8 GP, 1-6-7), Dylan Malmquist (8 GP, 2-3-5), Mike O’Leary (8 GP, 1-4-5), Colin Theisen (8 GP, 3-2-5) and Michael Graham (4 GP, 2-3-5).
B1G PLAYOFF OVERVIEW
- As the top-seeded team, Ohio State will have a bye to the single-elimination semifinals, which are scheduled for March 16-17.
- In addition to No. 2 Notre Dame hosting No. 7 Michigan State, Minnesota will host No. 6 seed Michigan and No. 4 seed Penn State will host No. 5 seed Wisconsin in best-of-three quarterfinal series.
- The highest-seeded team advancing from the quarterfinals will host the second-highest advancing seed, while the lowest-seeded advancing team will play at Ohio State.
- The highest-seeded team remaining after the semifinals will host a championship game scheduled for the weekend of March 23-24.
- The semifinal rounds will be televised live on BTN and streamed on the FOX Sports app and BTN2Go, along with the championship game on either March 23 or March 24.
- 50 – Notre Dame is in the midst of its 50th season of varsity hockey at the University.
- 23.2 – At 23.2 percent, the Irish power play ranks 11th in the country (and third among Big Ten teams).
- 19 – Former Fighting Irish goaltender Cal Petersen, who led Notre Dame to the 2017 Frozen Four, made his NHL debut for Los Angeles on Nov. 13, becoming the 19th player to reach the NHL after skating for Jeff Jackson at Notre Dame.
- 16 – The Fighting Irish are undefeated in 16 games this season in which they have scored at least three goals (15-0-1). The one tie was in the season-opening 6-6 tie versus Mercyhurst (Oct. 12).
- 10 – On Jan. 4, former Notre Dame All-American Erik Condra made his season debut for the Dallas Stars, becoming the 10th former Irish player to appear in the NHL this season, tying the program record (also done in 2016-17).
- 7.3 – At 7.3 penalty minutes per game, the Irish are the least penalized team in the country (Princeton is second with a 7.7 average).
- 7 – With the 2018 Big Ten tournament and regular season-titles, Notre Dame has now won seven conference championships in program history, each under Jeff Jackson (three regular-season).
- .91 – At 0.91 points per game, senior Bobby Nardella ranks 11th in the country and second in the Big Ten in points per game by a defenseman (34 GP, 7-24-31).
- Notre Dame is 39-29-0 all-time in the playoffs under 14th-year head coach Jeff Jackson, including a 28-20-0 mark in conference playoff games.
- Notre Dame and Michigan State have met four times in the playoffs, including twice in the CCHA playoffs and twice in the NCAA tournament.
- The teams played for the 1982 CCHA Championship at the Joe Louis Arena, with Michigan State posting a 4-1 win.
- In the 2000 CCHA Semifinals at the Joe Louis Arena, the Spartans posted a 4-0 win over the Irish.
- Michigan State then downed Notre Dame 2-1 in the 2007 Midwest Regional Final at Van Andel Arena by a score of 2-1.
- The Irish broke through against the Spartans in the playoffs with a 3-1 victory in the 2008 NCAA West Regional Final at the Colorado Springs World Arena.
- Last weekend, Bobby Nardella became the sixth defenseman in Irish history to reach the 100 career points mark.