NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Freshman forward Michael Graham has been named the Big Ten’s Second Star of the Week the conference announced on Tuesday morning (February 19).
Last week against Michigan, Graham scored in the second period on an even strength tally to extend Notre Dame’s lead to 4-1 (Feb. 12). Then in Saturday night’s 5-2 win over Wisconsin (Feb. 16), Graham led the way for the Irish with his fourth multi-goal game of the season, scoring two of Notre Dame’s three second-period goals.
With his performance last week, Graham took the team lead in goals with 11. Since Jan. 18, he has scored 10 goals, which leads the NCAA during that span.
On the season, the Eden Prairie, Minnesota native has skated in 29 games, scoring 11 goals and adding eight assists for 19 points. His 19 points rank tied for fourth on the team.
Big Ten Stars of the Week — Feb. 19
First Star: Nathan Burke, Fr., F, Minnesota
Second Star: Michael Graham, Fr., F, Notre Dame
Third Star: Scott Reedy, Fr., F, Minnesota
Notre Dame’s 2018-19 Weekly B1G Honors
Cal Burke: Third Star (Oct. 23)
Michael Graham: Second Star (Feb. 19)
Cale Morris: Third Star (Nov. 6), First Star (Jan. 3), Second Star (Jan. 28)
Cam Morrison: Third Star (Dec. 3)
Bobby Nardella: First Star (Oct. 23)
Joe Wegwerth: First Star (Oct. 16)
The Fighting Irish will play their final regular-season road series this weekend at Minnesota on Feb. 22-23. Friday’s game will televised by the Big Ten Network (9 p.m. ET) and Saturday’s game will be on Fox Sports North (5:30 p.m. ET).
Trio Up For Hobey Vote
- It was announced on Jan. 16 that forward Cal Burke, goaltender Cale Morris and defenseman Bobby Nardella have each been selected to Phase One of the Hobey Baker Award’s fan ballot (vote at www.hobeybaker.com).
- Awarded annually to college hockey’s top player, the Hobey Baker award includes candidates exhibiting the exceptional character traits of the award’s namesake, Hobey Baker, with consideration given to scholastic achievement and sportsmanship.
- Morris, who was awarded the 2018 Mike Richter Award as college hockey’s top goaltender, was named a Top-10 Finalist for the Hobey Baker Award last season.
- Morris was the fourth player in Notre Dame history to be among the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker, joining Anders Bjork (2017), David Brown (2007) and Dave Poulin (1982).
- Morris, a Larkspur, Colorado, native, was also the first player from the Centennial State to play his way into the Hobey Top 10.
- The Fan Balloting (Phase I) of the Hobey Baker award calendar will continue until March 10.
- On March 20, the Top 10 Finalists will be announced, at which time Phase II Fan Balloting will begin and run through March 31.
- The Hobey Hat Trick Finalist Announcement will be made on April 4.
- The 2019 Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced from a field of three Hobey Hat Trick finalists on Friday, April 12, during the 2019 NCAA Frozen Four Championship in Buffalo, New York.
— ND —