NOTRE DAME, Ind. — University of Notre Dame goaltender Cale Morris was named the Big Ten Conference Second Star of the Week after leading the Irish to a 1-0-1 record against Michigan State.
Morris led the Irish to a five point weekend against the Spartans, beginning with a season-best 49 saves in Notre Dame’s 6-3 game one victory (Jan. 25).
In game two, Morris finished with 29 saves, including four in overtime to preserve the tie. Then in the 3-on-3 overtime, he made three more saves (not counted in official stats) to help force a shootout. After Tory Dello gave Notre Dame the lead with his shootout goal, Morris, who saved Mitchell Lewandowski on the first attempt, stopped Taro Hirose’s attempt to give the Irish the extra point in the Big Ten standings.
For the weekend, Morris was 1-0-1 with a 1.92 goals against average and an impressive .951 save percentage.
Over the past two seasons, Morris has now racked up 11 weekly Big Ten honors: First Star (6), Second Star (3), Third Star (2).
Notre Dame’s 2018-19 Weekly B1G Honors
Joe Wegwerth: First Star (Oct. 16)
Bobby Nardella: First Star (Oct. 23)
Cal Burke: Third Star (Oct. 23)
Cale Morris: Third Star (Nov. 6), First Star (Jan. 3), Second Star (Jan. 28)
Cam Morrison: Third Star (Dec. 3)
Big Ten Stars of the Week — Jan. 29
First Star: Tyler Sheehy, Minnesota
Second Star: Cale Morris, Notre Dame
Third Star: Peyton Jones, Penn State
The Fighting Irish hit the road next weekend (Feb. 1-2) to take on Ohio State. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday before the two sides square off at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Trio Up For Hobey Vote
- It was announced on Jan. 16 that forward Cal Burke, goaltender Cale Morris and defenseman Bobby Nardella have each been selected to Phase One of the Hobey Baker Award’s fan ballot (vote at www.hobeybaker.com).
- Awarded annually to college hockey’s top player, the Hobey Baker award includes candidates exhibiting the exceptional character traits of the award’s namesake, Hobey Baker, with consideration given to scholastic achievement and sportsmanship.
- Morris, who was awarded the 2018 Mike Richter Award as college hockey’s top goaltender, was named a Top-10 Finalist for the Hobey Baker Award last season.
- Morris was the fourth player in Notre Dame history to be among the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker, joining Anders Bjork (2017), David Brown (2007) and Dave Poulin (1982).
- Morris, a Larkspur, Colorado native, was also the first player from the Centennial State to play his way into the Hobey Top 10.
- The Fan Balloting (Phase I) of the Hobey Baker award calendar will continue until March 10.
- On March 20, the Top 10 Finalists will be announced, at which time Phase II Fan Balloting will begin and run through March 31, 2019.
- The Hobey Hat Trick Finalist Announcement will be made on April 4.
- The 2019 Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced from a field of three Hobey Hat Trick finalists on Friday, April 12, 2019 during the NCAA Frozen Four Championship in Buffalo, New York.
— ND —