WHO: #8/8 Notre Dame (5-4-1) at Michigan State (4-4-0)
WHEN: Friday, November 16 – 7:00 p.m. | Saturday, November 17 – 7:30 p.m.
WHERE: Munn Ice Arena
WATCH: Friday & Saturday – Big Ten Network+
THE SERIES VS. MICHIGAN STATE
- Former CCHA rivals, the Irish and Spartans have met 117 times in program history, dating back to their first meeting in 1926. Played at the University Rink in East Lansing, Mich., Notre Dame won the game 3-1.
- All-time, the Spartans lead the series 63-43-11 and 37-15-4 when they skate on their home ice.
- In their last 19 meetings, the Irish have finished on top 14 times and tied the Spartans twice for a 14-3-2 record (2008-present).
- 301 – In his 14th season, head coach Jeff Jackson now has 301 career wins at Notre Dame (301-181-55). Notre Dame’s all-time wins leader is Lefty Smith (307-320-31).
- 50 – Notre Dame is embarking upon the 50th season of varsity hockey at the University
- 19 – Former Fighting Irish goaltender Cal Petersen, who led Notre Dame to the 2017 Frozen Four, made his NHL debut for Los Angeles on Nov. 13, becoming the 19th player to reach the NHL after skating for Jeff Jackson at Notre Dame.
- 8 – The 2018-19 Irish roster boasts eight players who have been selected in the NHL Draft.
- 7 – With the 2018 Big Ten tournament and regular season titles, Notre Dame has now won even conference championships in program history, each under Jeff Jackson (three regular season)
- 5 – With his shutout against Providence to claim the Ice Breaker Championship on Oct. 13, goaltender Cale Morris boasts five career shutouts with the Irish.
- 3 – Jack Jenkins, Bobby Nardella and Cal Burke have combined for Notre Dame’s three shorthanded goals this season, which is tied for the second-most in the country.
- 2 – Against Mercyhurst on Oct. 12, junior Cal Burke notched a third period hat trick — the second of his career. He became the first Irish player since Anders Lee with multiple career hat tricks.
- 1 – The Irish kicked off their 2018-19 season by winning the Ice Breaker Tournament with a 3-0 win over Providence in the championship game.
- Notre Dame’s leading scorer, Cal Burke, sits tied for seventh in the nation with 13 points. Through 10 games, Burke has six goals and seven assists for 13 points. Bobby Nardella also ranks in the top-20 in point, recording 12 points off five goals and seven assists.
- Former Notre Dame goaltender Cal Petersen made his National Hockey League debut with the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday night (Nov. 13). Petersen, who was called up from the Ontario Reign (AHL) on Nov. 12, came in during the second period in relief of Kings starter Peter Budaj. In 35:27 of work he stopped 15 of the 16 shots he faced, with Toronto’s goal against Petersen coming on the power play.
- Jackson graduated from Michigan State in 1978 with a degree in communications, followed by an education degree in 1979.
- Jackson coached current Michigan State head coach Danton Cole and current Spartan assistant Chris Luongo during their junior hockey days with the Detroit Falcons and then Jackson also coached Cole during the 1983-84 season with the Fraser Flags of the Great Lakes Junior Hockey League (GLJHL).