Postgame Press Conference
Box Score (PDF)
MANCHESTER, N.H. — Cale Morris made 30 saves, but the No. 12 Notre Dame Fighting Irish fell to No. 4 Massachusetts, 4-0, on Saturday night in the NCAA Northeast Regional Final at SNHU Arena (5,679).
The Irish, who advanced to an NCAA Regional Final for a third consecutive season, see their season end at 23-14-3. No. 1 seed UMass (30-9-0) advances to the 2019 NCAA Frozen Four in Buffalo.
The Class of 2019 close their Notre Dame careers as the first class to earn four straight NCAA Tournament berths, in addition to two NCAA Frozen Four appearances and a trio of Big Ten Conference Championships.
“As far as over-all success they may be the most successful senior class that we’ve had,” said head coach Jeff Jackson. “You give kids credit now-a-days when they stick around for four years and it always makes a big difference when you have good seniors. I think last year was probably the bigger indication for us. We had nine seniors, but this year with the four guys, it was unfortunate that we lost Joe Wegwerth at Christmas time, that was a big loss, but Joe, Dylan, Bobby, and Jack are great kids. I’m extremely proud of them, they’ve had great careers. I told them in the locker room they have nothing to be ashamed about. They probably had the best careers as a class of ours at Notre Dame as far as NCAA tournaments and winning championships. They’ve certainly wore their jerseys with pride.”
Cale Morris made 12 stops in the opening 20 minutes of play to keep the game scoreless entering the first intermission.
Jack Jenkins had the best look for either side in the first frame on a two-on-one rush, but Filip Lindberg made the save just over five minutes into play.
Jake Gaudet, John Leonard and Cale Makar each scored for UMass in the second stanza as the Minutemen earned a 3-0 advantage after 40 minutes.
With Morris pulled for an extra attacker, UMass added an empty-net goal in the closing minutes to account for the 4-0 final.
Notre Dame finished 0-for-2 on the power play, while UMass was 0-for-3.
- Notre Dame was playing in a NCAA Regional Final game for the third consecutive season and the sixth time in program history, all since 2007 under head coach Jeff Jackson.
- Cam Morrison and Bobby Nardella were each named to the NCAA Northeast Regional All-Tournament Team.
- The Irish are 4-2-0 in their six regional final games including a loss in 2007 and then wins in 2008, 2011 (Manchester, N.H.), 2017 (Manchester, N.H.) and 2018.
- For the fourth consecutive season and the 11th time in program history, Notre Dame appeared in the NCAA Championship field.
- Jackson has led the Irish to 10 of their 11 NCAA tournament appearances.
- Notre Dame is 44-30-0 all-time in the playoffs under 14th-year head coach Jeff Jackson, including a 32-20-0 mark in conference tournament playoff games (includes games in the CCHA, Hockey East and Big Ten) and 12-10-0 in NCAA Tournament games.
NCAA Northeast Regional All-Tournament Team*
F – Brett Boeing, UMass
F – Cam Morrison, Notre Dame
F – John Leonard, UMass
D – Cale Maker, UMass
D – Bobby Nardella, Notre Dame
G, Filip Lindberg, UMass
*As voted on by the media