Sept. 7, 2006
The University of Notre Dame’s seven winners of the Heisman Trophy will be honored on a game-by-game basis throughout the 2006 Irish home football season.
Each of the seven winners will be honored at one of Notre Dame’s seven home games in ’06. Each former winner is featured on the game ticket, the cover of the official game program and the poster included in the program for one of the games.
In addition, each former Heisman winner (or family members in the case of the late Angelo Bertelli and Leon Hart) will take part in the ceremonial coin toss prior to the game. The winners also will be involved in the Friday luncheons and pep rallies, as travel plans permit.
Here’s a listing of who will be honored by game:
- Sept. 9 vs. Penn State: 1943 winner Angelo Bertelli (represented by son Michael and daughter Judy Bertelli Wry)
- Sept. 16 vs. Michigan: 1947 winner John Lujack
- Sept. 30 vs. Purdue: 1953 winner John Lattner
- Oct. 7 vs. Stanford: 1949 winner Leon Hart (represented by sons Kevin, Marty, Lee and Bill and daughter Mara)
- Oct. 21 vs. UCLA: 1956 winner Paul Hornung (2006 marks the 50th anniversary of his Heisman award)
- Nov. 4 vs. North Carolina: 1964 winner John Huarte
- Nov. 18 vs. Army: 1987 winner Tim Brown
A limited-edition, special commemorative coin has been created for use in the coin toss each Saturday. The coin features a likeness of the Heisman Trophy on one side, and the names and years of the seven winners, along with the golden dome and an ND, logo on the reverse. Framed editions of the coins will be presented to the seven winners.