NORMAN, Okla. — Junior Abby Heck shot a final round 66 (-4) at the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic to finish in a tie for seventh at the Belmar Golf Club (par-70/ 6,048 yards).
Notre Dame totaled a final round 287 to place 14th at the three-day tournament (301-281-287=869).
Heck’s final round included six birdies, 10 pars and a pair of bogeys as she posted her second career top-10 finish. Her other top-10 showing came at last season’s 2019 Moon Golf Invitational at the Duran Golf Club when she placed second. In addition, Heck’s previous career low round was a 68, also shot at the 2019 Moon Golf Invitational.
The 66 ties Heck with five other golfers, including freshman Lauren Beaudreau who shot a 66 in Saturday’s second round, for the second-lowest round in program history (stroke total). For the tournament Heck had 12 birdies, which tied for the second most in the 81-player field.
Sophomore Claire Albrect (73) and freshmen Madelyn Jones (74) and Jessica Meyers (74) also scored for the Irish on the final day of play. Albrecht joined Heck as the two Irish golfers who had each of their rounds counted towards team scoring over the weekend and Meyers posted her lowest round to date for the Irish.
Freshman Lauren Beaudreau turned in a final round 77, while senior Mia Ayer, playing as an individual, shot a 78.
Texas entered the day one back of the hosts from Oklahoma but ended up winning the tournament (283-275-280=838) by nine strokes over second-place Alabama (284-282-281=847). Tristyn Nowlin (69-71-67=207) of Illinois and Frida Kinhault (69-67-71=207) of Florida State tied for medalist honors.
The Fighting Irish will now turn their attention to the Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Illinois where they will tee it up in the 2019 Illini Women’s Golf Invitational on Oct. 7-8.
|T7||Abby Heck (4)||72||71||66||209|
|T38||Lauren Beaudreau (1)||74||66||77||217|
|T66||Claire Albrecht (3)||76||75||73||224|
|T70||Madelyn Jones (2)||83||69||74||226|
|79||Jessica Meyers (5)||79||82||74||235|
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 72 (second round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
- Mia Ayer: 71 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Lauren Beaudreau: 66 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Abby Heck: 66 (third round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Madelyn Jones: 69 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Jessica Meyers: 74 (third round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
Folds Of Honor
- The Fighting Irish women’s golf program has teamed up with the Folds of Honor Military Tribute Program (FHMTP) for the 2019-20 season.
- The program provides the opportunity for collegiate golf teams to honor a fallen or severely wounded American soldier by selecting a student-athlete to carry a golf bag displaying the name, rank and branch of service of the soldier being honored throughout the year.
- Fighting Irish senior Mia Ayer will have the honor of carrying Notre Dame’s FHMTP golf bag for the 2019-20 season, which honors the memory of Captain Reid Nishizuka ’05.
- Reid Nishizuka, a U.S. Air Force Captain, died in service to his country on April 27, 2013, near Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Reid was a recipient of 10 Air Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals, two Air Force Achievement Medals and a Bronze Star for Heroism.
- Throughout the season, the Notre Dame women’s golf team will also raise funds with the proceeds benefiting the Folds of Honor (FOH).
- Through scholarships and other assistance, Folds of Honor gives back to the spouses and children of soldiers killed or disabled in service to our country
- Details of Notre Dame’s fundraising efforts will be released as the season progresses.
— ND —