NORMAN, Okla. — Junior Abby heck led the Fighting Irish women’s golf team on day one of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic, carding a 72 (+2). Playing at the Belmar Golf Club (par-70/ 6,048 yards), Notre Dame shot an opening round 301.
Heck, a junior, had 13 pars on the day to go along with two birdies, two bogeys and a double. Battling windy conditions, she played her final 16 holes of the day at an even-par clip. She will enter Saturday’s second round tied for 19th.
Freshman Lauren Beaudreau (74), sophomore Claire Albrecht (76) and freshman Jessica Meyers (79) also scored for the Irish. For Meyers, it marked her first round as part of Notre Dame’s starting five. Playing as an individual, senior Mia Ayer shot an 82.
The hosts from Oklahoma (282) lead after 18 holes of play, followed by Texas (283) and Alabama (284). On the individual leaderboard, Mississippi State’s Clara Moyano took the first-round lead with a 66, one stroke clear of Oklahoma’s Kaitlin Milligan (67).
The Schooner Fall Classic, which Notre Dame is playing in for a sixth consecutive season, will continue with Saturday’s second round. Tee times start at 10:00 a.m. ET and live scoring can be tracked via golfstat.
|T19||Abby Heck (4)||72||72|
|T36||Lauren Beaudreau (1)||74||74|
|T59||Claire Albrecht (3)||76||76|
|T74||Jessica Meyers (5)||79||79|
|T78||Madelyn Jones (2)||83||83|
The 2019 Schooner Fall Classic | Rounds 2-3
Dates: September 28-29, 2019
Tee Times: Begin at 10:00 a.m. ET on Saturday and 9:30 a.m. ET on Sunday.
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Course (Par/Yardage): Belmar Golf Club (par-70/ 6,048 yards)
Tournament Field (15): Oklahoma (Host), Alabama, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Houston, Illinois, Louisville, Miami, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State.
Notre Dame Lineup: Lauren Beaudreau (1), Madelyn Jones (2), Claire Albrecht (3), Abby Heck (4), Jessica Meyers (5). In addition, Mia Ayer will compete as an individual.
Live Scoring: Golfstat.com
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 72 (second round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
- Mia Ayer: 71 (third round of the 2018 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Lauren Beaudreau: 73 (first round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
- Abby Heck: 68 (first round of the 2019 Moon Golf Invitational)
- Madelyn Jones: 73 (first round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
- Jessica Meyers: 76 (second round of the 2019 Minnesota Invitational)
Folds Of Honor
- The Fighting Irish women’s golf program has teamed up with the Folds of Honor Military Tribute Program (FHMTP) for the 2019-20 season.
- The program provides the opportunity for collegiate golf teams to honor a fallen or severely wounded American soldier by selecting a student-athlete to carry a golf bag displaying the name, rank and branch of service of the soldier being honored throughout the year.
- Fighting Irish senior Mia Ayer will have the honor of carrying Notre Dame’s FHMTP golf bag for the 2019-20 season, which honors the memory of Captain Reid Nishizuka ’05.
- Reid Nishizuka, a U.S. Air Force Captain, died in service to his country on April 27, 2013, near Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Reid was a recipient of 10 Air Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals, two Air Force Achievement Medals and a Bronze Star for Heroism.
- Throughout the season, the Notre Dame women’s golf team will also raise funds with the proceeds benefiting the Folds of Honor (FOH).
- Through scholarships and other assistance, Folds of Honor gives back to the spouses and children of soldiers killed or disabled in service to our country
- Details of Notre Dame’s fundraising efforts will be released as the season progresses.
— ND —