Oct. 7, 2013
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Irish men’s tennis team wrapped up the three-day Bobby Bayliss Invitational Sunday, Oct. 6 at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. Freshman Josh Hagar was named the tournament’s most outstanding player after he went 3-1 in singles play and 2-1 in doubles play against top competition.
After tallying results, the Notre Dame coaching staff also named five players to the all-tournament team: junior Wyatt McCoy, who went 3-1 in singles and 2-1 in doubles; sophomore Alex Lawson, who went 4-0 in singles; sophomore Kenneth Sabacinski, who went 3-1 in singles; Aaron Pfister of Michigan State, who went 3-1 in singles and 2-0 in doubles; and Michael Treis of Western Michigan, who went 4-0 in singles for the weekend.
Notre Dame won nine of 15 matches played on Sunday, bringing their total for the weekend up to 33 matches won out of 58 played (.568).
“Overall, it was a pretty solid event for our team,” said head coach Ryan Sachire. “Wyatt McCoy, Alex Lawson, Eddy Covalschi and Josh Hagar all stood out as having strong tournaments. As a group, we will look to improve over the next ten days and enter out Regional Championships better than we are today.”
- Hagar (Notre Dame 2-1) d. Simich (Louisville 2-1) 6-5, 6-3
- Pfister (Michigan State 2-1) d. Covalschi (Notre Dame 3-0) 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
- Lawson (Notre Dame 3-0) d. Kuelker (Cleveland State 1-2) 6-1, 6-4
- McCoy (Notre Dame 2-1) d. Forman (Michigan State 2-1) 6-4, 6-5
- Brown (Louisville1-1) d. Montoya (Notre Dame 2-1) 6-1, 6-2
- Schnurrenberger (Notre Dame 0-3) d. Hamilton (Western Michigan 1-2) 6-1, 6-1
- Tries (Western Michigan 3-0) d. Fredericka (Notre Dame 2-1) 6-5, 6-5
- Sabacinski (Notre Dame 2-1) d. Roy (Michigan State 2-1) 6-3, 0-6, 10-8
- Davis (Michigan State 1-2) d. Dooley (Notre Dame 1-2) 6-2, 6-2
- Pecor (Notre Dame 0-2) d. Van Meter (Cleveland State 2-1) 6-2, 6-5
- Indre/Cahn (Western Michigan) d. Covalschi/Lawson (Notre Dame) 8-5
- Hagar/Pecor (Notre Dame) d. Brown/Derognat (Louisville) 8-4
- Greiner/Shideler (Western Michigan) d. Fredericka/Montoya (Notre Dame) 8-4
- Schnurrenberger/Sabacinski (Notre Dame) d. Lippens/Bonfre (Louisville) 8-4
- Barnard/McCoy (Notre Dame) d. Tries/Mora (Western Michigan) 8-3
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant