NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Notre Dame received a big offensive showing from junior Dane Goodwin, matching his career high in points with 27 in the 81-70 win over Bellarmine on Wednesday afternoon inside Purcell Pavilion.
Goodwin led the way in scoring for the Fighting Irish but two other juniors also had notable days, as Prentiss Hubb scored 18 points while Nate Laszewski added 16 points on a perfect 7-for-7 effort from the floor.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish offense was flowing in the first half, as Notre Dame shot 15-for-25 from the field (60 percent) which led to a nine-point advantage heading into the half at 45-36. Goodwin and Laszewski did the heavy lifting on the offensive end in the opening 20 minutes, combining to score 33 of the team’s 45 points.
Notre Dame never trailed in the second half en route to the 81-70 win. The Knights managed to cut the Irish lead to three early in the second half but Notre Dame quickly responded and pushed its advantage back to double digits. Hubb broke out in the second stanza on the offensive end, scoring 15 points in the second half.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Goodwin was feeling it on Wednesday, matching his career high for points with 27 on an ultra-efficient 8-of-10 shooting, including a perfect mark of 11-for-11 from the free-throw line. Goodwin also pulled down seven boards to complete his impressive performance.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
The Irish not only didn’t allow the Knight’s to score a second-chance point but didn’t even give up a single offensive rebound. Wednesday’s game marks the first time since the beginning of the 1996 season that Notre Dame didn’t allow an opponent to record an offensive rebound. Bellarmine’s 15 total rebounds are also the lowest mark since the beginning of the 1996 season.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish remain perfect against Bellarmine, improving to 5-0 against the Knights in the all-time series, with two of the wins coming in exhibitions.
- Notre Dame outrebounded Bellarmine 34-15 in the win.
- The Irish finished 21-of-25 (84 percent) from the free-throw line and have now recorded a free-throw percentage of at least 80 percent in each of the last four games.
- Goodwin’s 19-point first half performance tied him for the most points in a half by a Notre Dame player with Laszewski’s 19 first half points in the win at Kentucky.
- Hubb’s 18 points marks the fifth time this season he has scored 18 or more points in a game.
The Fighting Irish return to ACC action after Christmas, hosting No. 16/15 Virginia at 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Dec. 30 in Purcell Pavilion. The game will air on ACCN.