Sept. 11, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – University of Notre Dame volleyball fans are in for a treat this weekend, as the Irish open up their 2015 home slate with the Golden Dome Invitational.
Weekend opponents include seven-time national champion Penn State (5-0), who is ranked No. 1 in the country, Mississippi State (6-1) and Eastern Kentucky (1-7).
Golden Dome Invitational (Host: Notre Dame)
Notre Dame, Indiana (Purcell Pavilion)
Sept. 11-12, 2015
Friday, Sept. 11
4:30 p.m.: Eastern Kentucky vs. Penn State
7 p.m.: Mississippi State vs. Notre Dame
Saturday, Sept. 12
10 a.m.: Penn State vs. Mississippi State
12:30 p.m.: Eastern Kentucky vs. Notre Dame
4:30 p.m.: Mississippi State vs. Eastern Kentucky
7 p.m.: Penn State vs. Notre Dame
* Live Stats & Free Video Available For All Six Matches
Facebook – /NDVolleyball / Twitter – @NDVolleyball / Instagram – NDVBall
Text Alerts – Irish Alert! Text Messaging (Sign Up On UND.com)
Here are five things you need to know to be prepared for the Golden Dome Invitational.
- A pair of freshmen turned in outstanding individual performances last weekend at the Seton Hall Classic … Wexford, Pennsylvania native Meg Morningstar totaled 11 blocks against Temple, which was tied for the eighth-most by an ND player since 2001 … Chicago native Ryann DeJarld posted 30 digs versus Hofstra, which proved to be the fifth most in that same time span.
- Penn State has won seven national championships and 16 Big Ten titles under legendary head coach Russ Rose … his career record is 1,166-180 and he has led the Nittany Lions to appearances in all 34 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball National Championship tournaments … Penn State has claimed six of the last eight national championships … they have won all 15 sets they have played this year.
- The Irish will also meet Mississippi State and Eastern Kentucky this weekend … Notre Dame is a perfect 3-0 against the former, including a 3-0 win at the Shamrock Invitational in 2012 … the Irish and the Bulldogs have never met on the court … Penn State claims wins in eight of the nine meetings, with four of the showdowns coming in the NCAA Championship … the Irish beat the Nittany Lions, 3-1, in the first round of the NCAA Championship at the Joyce Center in 1988.
- Sophomore Sydney Kuhn turned in her first double-double of the season last weekend against Hofstra, registering 10 kills and 11 digs … it was the fifth double-double of her career … Kuhn is one of three Irish players (Maddie Dilfer, Katie Higgins) to start all six matches this year so far.
- From a marketing perspective, Friday is free shirt Friday, where all fans will receive a free Notre Dame volleyball shirt while supplies last … tickets for Saturday are only $3 … Saturday night is our Jam the Joyce promotion against the Penn State Nittany Lions … schedule cups will be passed out throughout the weekend.
Season and individual match tickets for Notre Dame volleyball are on sale. Visit und.com/tickets or call the Murnane Family Ticket Office at 574-631-7356 for more information.
For the latest Irish volleyball coverage, be sure to log on to UND.com or follow the program on Facebook (/NDVolleyball), Twitter (@NDVolleyball) and Instagram (NDVBall).
–Russell Dorn, Athletics Communications Assistant Director