Dec. 9, 2008
Brothers Mark and Steve Kubik are accomplished members of the Notre Dame men’s fencing team. Mark, a senior, is the foil team’s co-captain, an All-American and an Academic All-America Candidate. Steve, a sophomore, was a second team All-American, finished seventh at the Junior World Cup in 2006 and was 23rd overall in the men’s foil field at the North American Cup.
1. What nicknames does your brother have?
Mark: Scuba Steve; Shrek; Steve “the Rebel”
Steve: Markus Kubikus – The Roman
2. What’s the most embarrassing thing to happen to your brother while he was fencing?
Mark: His pants ripped at a tournament in Texas
Steve: He lost to me at regionals!
3. Does your brother have any sure-fire tricks to annoy you?
Mark: Hiding the car in random spots around campus.
Steve: Yes he does, and he loves to watch me get annoyed. For example, by taking our car.
4. What do you think is the hardest part about being a student athlete?
Mark: Finding a good balance between athletics and academics and missing class because of travel.
Steve: Fighting off all of the girls.
5. When you were kids, what was your brother always in trouble for?
Mark: Messing with our younger brother Nick
Steve: Not watching me when I did something stupid.
6. What is the greatest accomplishment of your brother?
Mark: I don’t know if many people know this, but Steve can dunk.
Steve: Beating me.
7. Who do you think would win in a sword-fight, the Kubiks or the Hurleys?
Mark: I don’t know, but the Hurley’s kind of scare me.
Steve: Yikes! The Hurley’s of course. Have you seen those girls?
8. If a movie was being made about the Kubik brothers, what genre would it be; who would you choose to play yourselves; and what would the title be?
Mark: It would be a comedy; Lance Bass would be Steve and I would be Adam Sandler.
Steve: it would be a dramatic comedy. Will Ferrell would be me and Macaulay Culkin would be Mark.
9. If you could name an energy drink after your brother, what would you call it?
10. If your brother was deserted on an island, what three things would you send him?
Mark: Hair gel, a mirror and a surfboard
Steve: A cell phone with Courtney’s phone number, Ritz Crackers, and The Notebook.
11. What song would you pick as your brother’s theme song?
Mark: “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys
Steve: “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys
12. What does being part of the Fighting Irish mean to each of you?
Mark: It’s a tremendous opportunity to represent a great school and to be part of its legacy. It has also been amazing working and interacting with so many intelligent, talented individuals.
Steve: It means representing something bigger than myself, something I am proud of, something I will always remember.