Edward Krause Sculpture To Be Dedicated Friday
Irish sports legend remembered for contributions on and off the field.
Sept. 13, 1999
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — A bronze sculpture of legendary Irish student-athlete, head coach and athletic director Edward “Moose” Krause will be dedicated at 2:00 p.m. EST, Friday in front of the Joyce Center.The sculpture shows Krause sitting on a bench, looking toward Notre Dame Stadium. It was produced by Jerry McKenna of Boerne, Texas, a 1962 Notre Dame graduate, who did the Frank Leahy sculpture that was unveiled in the fall of ’97 outside of Notre Dame Stadium.
Taking part in the dedication will be members of the University and athletic department administration and members of the Krause family.
Krause was born February 2, 1913, in Chicago, and starred in athletics at DeLaSalle High School on Chicago’s South Side. The 6-3, 200-pound Krause then came to Notre Dame to begin a long association with the school. He earned three football monograms as a tackle in 1931, ’32 and ’33, but his biggest college athletic heroics were accomplished on the basketball court as a center. For these accomplishments, he was inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame in 1976 and was the recipient of a recognition award by the Notre Dame Alumni Association.
In a day when a double-figure scoring effort was rare, Krause was the clutch-play artist for Irish coach George Keogan. During three seasons of play, Krause scored 547 points and led the Irish to a 54-12 record. Krause earned All-America honors in both basketball and football and also earned a monogram in track.
After graduating from Notre Dame in 1934, he coached basketball and football at St. Mary’s College in Minnesota and then at Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass.
In 1942, he returned to Notre Dame as an assistant basketball and football coach. When Keogan died of a heart attack during the 1942-43 season, Krause finished the season as the head coach and served in that same capacity the following season. Krause began a five-year stint as Irish head coach in 1946-47 and had an overall career record of 98-48, including a 20-4 mark in 1943-44.
On February 7, 1948, Krause was appointed assistant athletic director at Notre Dame and in this capacity he relieved football coach and athletic director Frank Leahy of many administrative duties. On March 22, 1949, Krause succeeded Leahy as athletic director and gave up coaching basketball following the 1950-51 season to concentrate solely on the athletic director position and held that position until retiring in 1980 after 32 years on the job.
During Krause’s tenure, the Notre Dame football team played in nine bowl games and won four consensus national championships. The basketball team advanced to the NCAA Final Four in 1978 and made a total of 16 appearances in the NCAA tournament. Krause helped spearhead the building of the multipurpose Joyce Center, which opened in 1968, by a fund-raising tour which saw him visit 175 cites.
Krause saw 10 new sports reach varsity status during his tenure and also handled the establishment of women’s varsity sports beginning in 1974. The budget of the athletic department quadrupled during his tenure and Irish teams won a total of seven national championships.
Krause was recognized by many groups for his civic and humanitarian as well as athletic contributions. He was inducted into the Knights of Malta at ceremonies conducted by in New York City’s St. Patrick Cathedral by Cardinal Terence Cook. The award is the highest honor a layman can receive in the Catholic church.
The City of Hope National Medical Center honored Krause in January of 1977, at an annual dinner in recognition of his service to that organization’s community and philanthropic interests. The tribute also included the establishment of an Edward Krause Research Fellowship.
Krause was also named the Man of the Year by the Walter Camp Football Foundation for his lifetime achievements on and off the field.
He received the 1989 Distinguished American Award from the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame.
Krause was inducted into the South Bend Hall of Fame for his contributions to extracurricular activities in the South Bend Community School Corporation. He was a member of the Alcohol Council of St. Joseph County and the Indiana Citizens’ Council on Alcoholism.
He served as the University Division representative for district four of the National Association of College Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and was elected to the Honors Court of the NCAA. He served on the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame honors court.
Following his retirement, Krause maintained an office in the Joyce Center and had the title of athletic director emeritus.
Krause was married on August 29, 1938, to Elizabeth Linden of Chicago, who died in March 1990. Krause died December 10, 1992, one day after attending the Notre Dame athletic department Christmas party and just weeks before he planned on attending Notre Dame’s appearance in the ’93 Cotton Bowl. The Krauses had three children: Rev. Edward Krause, Jr., Mary Elise Carrigan and Philip Krause.
Heading up the Krause sculpture committee are University executive vice president emeritus Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C., former Irish football coach Ara Parseghian and current Irish assistant athletic director George Kelly.
Tax deductible contributions toward completion of the sculpture should be made payable to the University of Notre Dame and sent to: The Moose Krause Memorial Fund, c/o George Kelly, 113 Joyce Center, Notre Dame, IN, 46556.