All Athletic Contests Involving Irish Teams Postponed Through Sunday
Notre Dame-Purdue football game rescheduled for Dec. 1 at Ross-Ade Stadium.
Sept. 12, 2001
Notre Dame, Ind. – All athletic contests scheduled through Sunday involving University of Notre Dame teams have been postponed indefinitely.
The decision to not play follows a BIG EAST Conference (Notre Dame competes in the BIG EAST in 20 of its sports) announcement to postpone all conference competition.
Said University of Notre Dame director of athletics Kevin White: “We believe the horrific developments Tuesday warrant a national period of bereavement and a moratorium as far as athletics are concerned. Consistent with the BIG EAST decision not to compete in any sports, we have postponed all athletic events through the weekend – and we have mutually agreed with Purdue to reschedule the football game on December 1.”
Attempts will be made to reschedule events – and announcements will be made as quickly as those events are rescheduled. The Notre Dame-Michigan women’s volleyball match, scheduled to be played tonight, was postponed last night.
Here are other events originally slated this weekend for Irish teams:
* FRIDAY – Volleyball vs. Indiana State and Purdue at Purdue (Mortar Board Purdue Premier)
* FRIDAY – Women’s Soccer at Santa Clara
* FRIDAY – Men’s Soccer vs. Rhode Island (Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament), also St. Mary’s (Calif.) vs. Akron
*FRIDAY/SUNDAY – Men’s Tennis at Rice Invitational (Houston, Texas)
* SATURDAY – Volleyball at Purdue
* SATURDAY – Football at Purdue
* SATURDAY/SUNDAY – Women’s Golf at Mary Fossum Michigan State Invitational
* SATURDAY/SUNDAY – Men’s Golf at Northern Collegiate Tournament in Iowa City
* SUNDAY – Men’s Soccer vs. Akron (Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament), also Rhode Island vs. St. Mary’s (Calif.)
* SUNDAY – Women’s Soccer at Stanford
The Notre Dame-Purdue football game has been rescheduled for Dec. 1 at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Ind. All tickets for that contest will be honored on the Dec. 1 date. There will be no refunds or exchanges.