Notre Dame Monogram Club Summer Update
July 25, 2001
- Six honorary monograms bestowed
- Five new board members announced
- Fr. Riehle presented with Krause Award
- Jim Carroll assumes presidency
- Julie Pierson-Doyle named second vice president
- Dave Duerson named trustee, honored with Sorin Award
- Warren Golf Course bench dedicated to Leo Barnhorst
- Several new Monogram Club projects approved
The past few weeks have brought plenty of changes and awards for members of the Notre Dame National Monogram Club. Here’s a quick rundown of the latest happenings:
- Six honorary monograms were bestowed by the Club in 2001, with the recipients including current Irish fencing coach Yves Auriol, associate athletic director Tony Yelovich, football team physician Dr. Willard Yergler, renowned sculptor Jerry McKenna (’49), and longtime Notre Dame supporters Ralph Roberts and Don Guglielmino (click on link for quotes, short bio’s and additonal photos).
Yves Auriol Tony Yelovich Dr. Willard Yergler Jerry McKenna Ralph Roberts Don Guglielmino 2001 Notre Dame Honorary Monogram Recipients
- The Moose Krause Award-which recognizes a Monogram Club member who has displayed outstanding dedication to the spirit and ideals of Notre Dame while demonstrating a responsibility and concern for the community-was presented to Rev. James Riehle, C.S.C., longtime executive director of the Monogram Club (follow link for quotes, short bio and additional photos).
Rev. James Riehle, C.S.C. 2001 Moose Krause Award
- Five new members of the Monogram Club board of directors were approved and will serve three-year terms through 2004: former tennis player Chris Kane (’75), former basketball player Marc Kelly (’82), former football players Jim Seymour (’69) and John Sweeney (’83) and Kevin O’Connor (’89)-the first product of the men’s lacrosse program to serve on the Monogram Club board of directors (click on link for bio. capsules and photos).
Chris Kane Marc Kelly Jim Seymour John Sweeney Kevin O’Connor New Board Members – Notre Dame National Monogram Club (2001-04)
- Jim Carroll (football, ’65) officially has assumed duties as Monogram Club president while Julie Pierson Doyle (volleyball, ’85) was named the Club’s second vice president, after serving on the Club’s board of directors and as the organization’s secretary. She will become the first woman to serve as president of the Monogram Club, with her two-year term set to begin in June of 2005 (follow link for bio. capsules and photos).
Jim Carroll Julie Pierson Doyle Monogram Club President and Vice Presidents (2001-03)
- Monogram Club first vice president Dave Duerson (football, ’83)-who recently was named to the Notre Dame Board of Trustees-was presented with Notre Dame’s prestigious Sorin Award during the annual reunion weekend ceremonies. The Sorin Award is presented by the University to a graduate who has embodied the values of the university in service to the community (click on above link for bio. and photos).
- A final tribute was paid to the board members whose three-year terms ended in 2001: John Anthony (golf, ’86), Ray DeLorenzi (hockey, ’77), Tad Eckert (tennis, ’94), Christy Faustmann (tennis, ’94) and Stan Wilcox (basketball, ’81). Eckert will remain active in the Monogram Club as an advisor-as will former president Marty Allen (’58, student manager) while Faustmann will follow Doyle as the Club’s new secretary. Former women’s soccer player Molly Lennon (’92)-who served a three-year term from 1997-2000-has rejoined the Monogram Club board as one of its five advisors.
Tad Eckert Marty Allen Christy Faustmann Molly Lennon
- The Monogram Club dedicated a redwood bench near the teebox on the 12th hole of the Warren Golf Course, in memory of former board member Leo Barnhorst (the 12th hole is sponsored by the Monogram Club). Members of the Barnhorst family were on hand for the June 7 dedication, which honored the former All-America basketball player who had attended 50 consecutive Monogram Club summer meetings while serving the Club in a variety of roles during that half-century of devotion to his alma mater (follow link for quotes, photos and tribute).
Leo Barnhorst Seated (from left): Mike Heaton and Rev. James Riehle, C.S.C.
Standing (from left): Creighton Miller, Dave Duerson, Katie King, Marty Allen, Allan Targgart, John Leahy, Dan Saracino, Ray Sobota, Tad Eckert, Tom Martin, Johnny Lattner, Bob Kessing and Marc Kelly.
Leo Barnhorst Tribute
- The Monogram Club allocated funding to underwrite the costs of varsity monogram items that annually are awarded to current student-athletes who earn a varsity monogram (i.e. letter jackets, stadium blankets, rings and watches). The Club also will fund mementos to recognize teams that win conference championships and/or participate in the NCAA championships. These projects are in addition to the Monogram Club’s ongoing programs, which include: the Brennan-Boland scholarship fund (benefiting sons and daughters of Monogram Club members who attend Notre Dame), the various Sports Heritage Hall displays located in the Joyce Center, the purchase of 40 laptop computers for use by student-athletes while travelling with their teams, production of the annual student-athlete handbook, sponsorship of the popular mentoring dinners that bring together current and former ND student-athletes, sponsorship of four student-athletes that participated in 2001 Notre Dame summer service projects, and publication of the Inside Irish newsletter. (Check back to www.und.com for photos from the annual Monogram Club golf outing.)
Click photo for larger version Sitting (from left): Jim Murphy, Dan Shannon, Dave Duerson, Mike Heaton, Rev. James Riehle, C.S.C., Jim Carroll, Julie Doyle, Pat Novitzki and Bob Senecal.
Standing (from left): Marc Kelly, Katie King, Alan Targgart, Joe Restic, John Sweeney, Ken Haffey, Ray Sobota, Anthony Mandolini, Charlie Owens, Jim Seymour, Chris Kane, Kevin O’Connor, Tad Eckert and Ray DeLorenzi.
Not pictured: Marty Allen, John Leahy, John Anthony, Christy Faustmann, Stan Wilcox, Robert Neidert, Heather Winiecki and Errol Williams.