Aug. 8, 2008
- Coach Weis Press Conference Transcript
- Assistant Coaches Interviews
- Player Interviews
- Photo Gallery
- Coach Weis Press Conference Podcast
- Fall Video Coverage Home Page
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame football team formally got its 2008 season underway on Friday afternoon with the program’s annual Media Day activities at Notre Dame Stadium. Head coach Charlie Weis spent more than a half-hour addressing the media on a variety of topics, before the Irish assistant coaching staff and a select group of players took their turn in front of the microphones.
Notre Dame returns 38 monogram winners and 17 starters (plus another 14 players who started at least one game in 2007) from last year’s club, with the 38 returning monogram winners being the largest contingent during Weis’ tenure.
In addition, the Irish will have the benefit of a highly-touted 23-member recruiting class — ranked by most as the second-best class nationally in 2008 — that should make competition even more interesting during fall camp.
Notre Dame will open the 2008 season on Sept. 6 when it plays host to San Diego State at Notre Dame Stadium, with the 3:30 p.m. (ET) contest to be televised nationally by NBC.
Other key dates during Notre Dame’s preseason practice schedule
- Aug. 10 – Fan Appreciation Day – 2:30-5:30 p.m. (ET) open practice in Notre Dame Stadium (weather permitting)
- Aug. 22 – Freshman Media Day – First day Irish rookies will be allowed to speak to the media
- Aug. 24 – Student Appreciation Night – 8:00-10:00 p.m. (ET) practice in Notre Dame Stadium open to all Notre Dame/Saint Mary’s/Holy Cross students (weather permitting)
— ND —