March 3, 2006
Fans of the Notre Dame baseball team will have five different options – including a new free text-message service – to follow the action from the weekend’s Minnesota Dairy Queen Classic:
* The Notre Dame Department of Athletics, in conjunction with Centennial Wireless and Notre Dame Sports Properties, has announced a new service for Fighting Irish fans. Irish ALERT, a text messaging service designed to give fans up-to-the-minute game updates, will debut this weekend and cover four varsity sports this spring – baseball, softball, men’s lacrosse and women’s lacrosse. This is a FREE trial program that will run until the completion of each sport’s 2006 season. See the following link for the simple sign-up process: http://my.textcaster.com/ServePopup.aspx?id=535
* Notre Dame’s entire 2006 schedule again will be broadcast live on commercial radio in South Bend (ESPN 1490) and via the web at und.com, for Irish Total Access subscribes. Total Access provides audio and video access for several ND sports and for audio/video for other schools that are part of the network. Jeff Jeffers will be handling play-by-play duties this weekend, with Sean Stires set to return for the San Antonio trip and then on a full-time basis after the conclusion of Notre Dame’s women’s basketball season. Former ND standout Dan Peltier – a rare All-American and Academic All-American double honoree – is a Minneapolis native and is slated to stop by the radio booth for some guest commentary (note that the audio links should be posted soon on und.com).
* Live stats for most road games will be linked on und.com. In some cases, this will be GameTracker provided by ND sports info. as a bonus offering for the ND fans. In other cases, the host school will provide the live-stats. Minnesota will be posting live stats for all games at the DQ Classic via links on the following page (links also should be posted on und.com, sometime before first pitch): http://www.gophersports.com/sports/schedule.asp?sport_id=mbball
* The ND Sports Hotline will have a game recap at 574-631-3000 (option 4, then option 1).
* Nebraska’s Husker Vision fee-based service will provide live video streaming of games involving the Huskers (see www.huskers.com for info.).