Jan. 21, 2017
By Sinhue Mendoza
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame swimming and diving program put forth another successful effort as the men beat IUPUI and the women took a pair of wins against IUPUI and Indiana State.
Head coach Mike Litzinger was pleased with his team’s effort, especially after an emotional ACC meet just the night before, and the ability to mix up his lineup.
“Today was another great opportunity for our squads to race,” said Litzinger. Coming off yesterday’s emotional meet, we had the flexibility to swim a different lineup and offer a few different looks.”
Women’s 1 Meter Diving
The Fighting Irish earned the top four spots on the springboard.
1. Claire Andrews (291.15), 2. Erin Isola (274.88), 3. Annie Crea (273.08), 4. Mellisa Berger (263.03)
3 Meter Diving
Notre Dame swept first place honors on both the men and women’s side of the event.
1. Erin Isola (293.25), 1. Joe Cuomos (372.08)
Notre Dame earned the top two spots on both the men and women’s side of the event.
1. Richard Mannix (9:23.63), 2. Connor Brown (9:30.06)
1. Rebecca Walton (10:19.79), 2. Reilly Lanigan (10:22.27)
Women’s 200-yard Freestyle
The Fighting Irish women swept the top three spots in the event.
1. Sammy Steigerwald (1:53.12), 2. Alice Treuth (1:53.29), 3. Katie Smith (1:53.98)
Notre Dame swept the top three spots on both of the men and women’s side of the short distance race.
Notre Dame earned the top three spots in both races.
1. Jack Montesi (1:50.29), 2. Joseph Petrone (1:51.52), 3. Tommy Anderson (1:51.77)
1. Katie Rentz (2:03.86), 2. Carolyn Kammeyer (2:03.98), 3. Sofia Revilak (2:06.85)
Notre Dame captured the top three spots in both the men’s and women’s event.
1. Tabahn Afrik (20.57), 2. Reed Fujan (20.77), 3. Dan Fujan (21.22)
1. Abbie Dolan (23.24), 2. Catherine Mulquin (23.65), 3. Lauren Heller (23.78)
The men and women each earned all the available points in the event.
1. Daniel Speers (45.03), 2. Billy Barth (45.97), 3. Justin Plaschka (46.51)
1. Lauren Heller (51.15), 2. Erin Sheehan (52.08), 3. Sofia Revilak (52.09)
Notre Dame swept the first three spots in both the men’s and women’s race.
1. Joe Turk (1:50.96), 2. Tommy Anderson (1:51.42), 3. Nick Milikich (1:51.88)
1. Kyra Sarazen (2:02.17), 2. Catherine Mulquin (2:04.09), 3. Reilly Lanigan (2:06.71)
Women’s 200-yard Breastroke
Notre Dame finished 1-2-3 in the event.
1. Sherrie McIntee (2:16.61), 2. Alyssa Storino (2:21.98), 3. Nikki Smith (2:22.62)
Women’s 500-yard Freestyle
The Fighting Irish women registered their eighth sweep of the meet.
1. Rebecca Walton (5:00.43), 2. Ellie Berdusco (5:01.36), 3. Alice Treuth (5:03.47)
Notre Dame returns to action on Jan. 27-28 when it plays host to the 2017 Shamrock Invitational at the Rolfs Aquatic Center in the Joyce Center.
Litzinger looks forward to hosting the invitational that will also serve as his seniors’ last meet on campus.
“Next week we host some excellent teams at our annual Shamrock Invitational,” said Litzinger. “The three-session meet will duplicate the ACC-NCAA Championship format one last time. We’re also looking forward to honoring our seniors in their last home competition.”
Fans can follow live results of the meet on both team Twitter accounts, @NDWSwimDive and @NDMensswimdive, with a complete recap posted to und.com at the conclusion of the meet.
– ND –